Farmers Market Help!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Take one trip through without buying anything. That will help give you an idea on prices.

One thing to keep in mind. Talk to everyone before you make a purchase. Some people are seller/growers meaning they grow what they are selling and it is grown local. They can tell you if it is grown without chemicals, etc.

There are also people who just buy stuff at vegetable wholesale markets and then resell at the farmers market. They have no idea how it was grown.

Our farmers market here finally cracked down on it because people would sell stuff that they had bought out of FL or GA. Anyway, now all produce at ours has to be labeled with the state if it is out of state and the county if it is in state.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Our farmers market here finally cracked down on it because people would sell stuff that they had bought out of FL or GA. Anyway, now all produce at ours has to be labeled with the state if it is out of state and the county if it is in state.
That's how a FM should be. :old

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
One of the vendors at our local market had grapefruit, lemons and limes for sale. In Colorado. In June. Rigggghhhhttttttt!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
When I go to a farmstand (TONS in my area!) I always ask "what here did YOU grow? And what is local?" And I ask how they grow it if I care to know that day. Sometimes I just need quick food. I know that the tree fruit will not be grown without sprays, hence working on growing more of my own. Still need peach pie every August.....that is a law, isn't it? :p

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have no problem with buying something from "out of state" - there is a lot of fruit for example that does not grow well in Florida (and please, I can only eat so much citrus and I'm done). However, everything at the market is well marked with the origin and things like tomatoes, watermelon, onions, peppers, corn, and citrus are always from Florida. Buying local is important to me for some things, but if I stuck to my guns about everything being local, I'd never eat an apple. That said, if I buy something from out of state, it's something that's in season at its origin. I don't buy apples during July, but stock up in the fall.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with buying out of state produce either. The only reason I mention it is if it is the OP's first farmer's market, one might assume that everything is fresh, local, and non-chemicaled.

The only other problem with buying out of state at the farmer's market is that at least here, they are not the growers. It's not somebody from FL who has driven up the interstate with their garden truck to sell here in Lexington who can tell you all about it. It is somebody who has enough cash to go the wholesale vegetable market, stock enough inventory for their booth and then put a wholesome, fresh faced youngster behind the table to take your order and your cash.

If you don't ask, they're not going to tell you. The key is knowing what questions to ask!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
At the farmers' market closest to us, the vendors are all local (to NE Ohio). I prefer to support local farmers if at all possible.

Ask if the vendors have farm stands at their farms that you can visit. Some even will give a short tour of their place.

We did this when we first moved back to Ohio, and it is how we got to know Mr & Mrs Smith and their wonderful farm. They sell veggies, but also various berries, apples, plums, peaches, pears. In the past, they even sold Mrs Smith's homemade pies. We know how he raises his crops and prefer to purchase from him, instead of another vendor at the market who might be selling the same items.

At the farmers' markets I especially look for items we don't grow or make (maple syrup, some cheeses), specialty items, or when our crop failed or in rare instances, when we've planted but haven't harvested yet. I don't purchase anything I can grow/make ourselves (breads, honey, flowering plants etc).

I use a seasonal chart to help remind me what is available during different times of the year, which is really good for items I may not be familiar with.... I keep them posted in the kitchen where I make my shopping list and one in my shopping notebook, incase I see something that peaks my interest.

http://www.fieldtoplate.com/guide.php (National links)
http://www.kammscorners.com/marketharvestguide.pdf (NE OH)

Make notes on what you see during each visit, with prices and you'll recognize when prices are higher or lower than norm.

Most of all, have fun and make friends. :D

ETA: Take your own bags, if you prefer not to carry a bunch of plastic ones home with you. A large harvest basket is nice too.

RudeKittyLuvsTesla

Power Conserver
Reaction score
JRmom said:
Another bit of advice.... only buy what you know you and your family will eat. I've gone overboard at the market before, buying fruit or veggies that were a novelty, and most of the time it was a waste of money. And don't buy more than you're willing to eat or put up. A whole box of tomatoes for $5 is a good deal, but not if you don't have the time/energy to deal with them after getting them home.

Whatever is in season for your local area is usually a better deal at a farmers market compared to the grocery store. For example, the sweet corn is coming in here. The grocery store has it on "sale" for 8/$1, but my farmers market has it for 12/$1. Bell peppers at the grocery store are $1.69/lb. or more :ep but at the farmers market they are 4/$1 for nice big ones.

I seldom buy fruits and veggies from the grocery store, but I always do a quick run-through the produce section just to check prices.
Our grocer has corn on "sale" for .69 each:( Bell peppers (teeny little peppers) are 1.29 each. Come on garden.. hurry!!!!
I love my dehydrator. When something is in season here (Oregon) I bulk up and dry to use for soups later. I do "soup starter" packs.. bullion/ dried veg/ pasta or rice. Makes a nice meal fast and the food saver bags take alot less space than cans of soup!

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Same thing where i live Dace, the local farmers markets have really nice stuff, but its expensive..! Same deal with the local farmstands, its normal for corn in season to sell for $6-7 a doz., around here..! 12 for a dollar in Fla. is a steal...!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ours is open year-round, and some producers (like the organic carrot guy) sell their own produce for most of the year then sub-lease their stalls to craftspeople for the months when they are out of stock. Some vendors do re-sell produce from the wholesalers, but everyone knows who they are--easy to tell when they have strawberries and pineapples in December ;)

Prices tend to be quite fair, even on the organic stuff. We like to buy from the Mennonite and Hutterite colonies that have stands, you can also chat them up for great deals on bulk chickens for the freezer etc. as well even though they only sell produce on their stands.

Latest posts