Farmer's Markets

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
Congrats- hope you do well!

Will you have a chance to go and see what everyone sells? Maybe you will have something totaly unique from the rest.
NOBODY has chicks! nobody has jams, jellies, any of that stuff, so I definately will be going in with a niche market captured :D I will have some diabetic friendly jams and such as well. I'll sneak in my bread by offering samples of jam on a slice hehehe...then I'll take orders on the side. SHHHHHHHHHHH! Don't tell on me ;)

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What the heck kind of farmers market doesn't have jams or jellies?! :th

For Christmas I would put together little sampler baskets of different sizes. One I made for family members who now live far from "home" was one I wish I'd done for myself. It was a small version of an adirondack pack basket lined with red and black checked hunter's flannel. I put the following in it: maple candies, cedar and balsam scented votive candles, a slate tile square with a local fish etched in it, "north woods" note pad, pine cone pen, a wooden fridge magnet of a black bear in a canoe, a balsam sachet, cider mulling spices, and a couple of locally made tiny jars of mustards and jellies. If I'd paid full price for all that stuff, it would have been over $100.00. I'm sure you could do something filled with stuff that reminds people of home, whatever that is in your area. Even if it's just a little basket with jam and jelly samples with a cute little bow.

You'll find what else is missing at your market, and fill the void. Keep us updated!

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How about plant starts or cut flowers?

lazyday

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Home-made tortilla. we have a local lady that makes them and she sells out fast.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fresh cut herbs also.

Have you seen what they bring in the store?!

And what you don't sell...you can take home and dry for the next sale.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
the funny farm6 said:

Will you have a chance to go and see what everyone sells? Maybe you will have something totaly unique from the rest.
NOBODY has chicks! nobody has jams, jellies, any of that stuff, so I definately will be going in with a niche market captured :D I will have some diabetic friendly jams and such as well. I'll sneak in my bread by offering samples of jam on a slice hehehe...then I'll take orders on the side. SHHHHHHHHHHH! Don't tell on me ;)
You go girl, I was just reading about all your jars and your haul o'produce--sounds like you are going to be a busy gal!

lazyday said:
Home-made tortilla. we have a local lady that makes them and she sells out fast.
Ditto this suggestion, tortillas are dead-easy to make :)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
Wannabefree said:
the funny farm6 said:

You go girl, I was just reading about all your jars and your haul o'produce--sounds like you are going to be a busy gal!

lazyday said:
Ditto this suggestion, tortillas are dead-easy to make :)
That is how I managed to sneak in a home Baker and a home susage maker into a farmers market that had rules againstsale of home made goods. We didn't sell we gave away free samples! Slab of toast with a duck egg and a very small sausage on it. a couple of unlabeled cups carefully seeded with greenbacks. If you had skipped breakfast to get to the market before the good stuff was gone would you pass on the sample? few did many put money in our cups. And most of the time we quit taking orders that we would have trouble filling (how many eggs can you squeeze out of a duck? etc. The odor was the best salesman. nothing like hot pig fat in the morning. I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 weeks before we gave up our stalls and ran the whole operation out of our homes.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Definitely check on the rules. In WI, you need to have a certified kitchen to sell baked goods or sprouts.

I do well on beautiful lettuce greens and spinach here, plus sunflower sprouts grown on trays with dirt, then cut and washed, boxed in 1/2-pint boxes. Berries always sell well, as well as sugar snap peas, sweet corn, pickle kits, salsa kits. Good luck!

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are making a killing selling eggs and processed broilers and turkey. We take preorders at the market for on-farm pickup or delivery using the USDA exemption.

Latest posts