Farmfresh City Homesteader - the sound of falling oaks.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
:hugs FF, I'm so sorry about your hen. At least now you can have some reassurance with the rest of your flock being out.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
:hugs Sorry to hear about your hen, FF. Maybe she went to that spot for shade? When it gets really hot out, I put bowls of water in shady spots around the yard for the flock, so they don't have far to travel to get some cooling water. I'm not sure it would have helped your hen, but just a thought.

Rain....I love when the rain cools every thing down, even if it is only a couple degrees. I bet the rest of your birds are glad for the cooler temps.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I too am very sorry for your loss. I found one of my hens under the roosts two days and like yours there was no apparant reason for her death. (((HUGS)))!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I do eat my chickens, but I am still sad when one dies unnecessarily. Most people just do not get that.
Its funny that you mentioned that, and made that statement.

Jodi, Dales wife live on the other side of the hill from me, she came to visit last night and had a walk to visit with the girls.

She asked what is going to happen when they stop laying, I explained I would harvest them. Jodi looked at me with blazing eyes and said I was cruel, after taking their eggs for years, when they stop your going to kill them? I said yes.

This coming from a very nice woman generally, one that refuses to eat farm eggs. :idunno

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
People just don't get it.
I have been reading your journal, just like I do others, but this really hits home for me.

And you know whats funny? They don't get it, they really don't.

Look, I am going to say this on your journal, just because I can't post it on my own. :pop

Jodi buys all these store bought baked goods, and passes them off as her own. I don't know about you, but I can tell when something is homemade and bought. No judgement call made here, each their own. :duc

Drawn in by website sales, she asked us to help her build her site. So we did, and we sampled some of her homemade cookies.... :sick

ANYWAY... That never went anywhere, well it did waste time....

Look, selling a $3 dozen of eggs is no big deal to me, on my SS journey, with all these self put in rules it is a big deal. Dale said he would buy a dozen a week, Jodi won't eat an egg that comes out of a chickens butt. So I am losing $3 a week. All eggs come out of a chickens butt, I guess the store bought ones come from a carton, not a butt.

:rolleyes:

Sorry for my rant on your journal, I still have $358.54 in my budget for this year. But I could have used that extra $12 bucks a month for other goods.

Again, people just don't get it.....