Farmfresh City Homesteader - the sound of falling oaks.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Then she goes into this LONG explanation about how the eggs that her chickens lay are too "gross" so she THROWS them away and buys her eggs at the store! This woman FEEDS chickens throws away THEIR eggs and then BUYS eggs to eat!?!

Now I don't get it.
Sounds like Washington D.C.!:gig

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am going to jump into this conversation because it is cracking me up!
How can you not eat an egg that comes out of a chickens butt? :lol:

But really, I have a city boy hubby and our 4 offspring, which take after him in a lot of ways. My hens should start laying with in the next month and one of my kids has already stated that he is not eating the eggs. I know that cockamamie idea is going to spread throughout the house. I will be damned if after tending these chicks for 5 mos if I am ever going to buy eggs again! :rant

I think I am going to find some PETA propaganda to correct their way of thinking right about the time our hens start laying...that ought to push them over to my side of the fence! What do you think?

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's how you get an egg that doesn't come out of a chickens butt.

Step 1. Get some chicks and raise them.
Step 2. Starting when they are teens, xray them every day. When you see an egg shaped calcification near their rear, it's time to proceed to the next step.
Step 3. Slaughter the chicken with the calcification and surgically remove the egg. Be careful as eggs are delicate things.
Step 4. Toss chicken carcass into rubbish bin.

Isn't this how the commercial eggers do it?

Dace, I would do the pamphlet too. I took my hubby to a couple of websites about the treatment of commercial growers and even showed him battery cages on ebay. Now that he likes the girls, he's all for them "paying" for their room and board with eggs and meat (well, maybe meat).

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I eat farm eggs now, Tommy a friend I met through Mark brings me 1 dozen a week, or I'll go pick them up.

I got the hens for self use as well as to sell to help cover feed cost and profit. With over four dozen a week expected, I think with making more of our own breads, deserts and such. We might use 1.5-2 dozen a week. So if I sell three dozen a week for 2.50, thats 7.50 in my pockets or added to my SS budjet. Thats 30.00 a month or two cases of new canning jars or lids for all the ones I have now.

LOL @ Kelle/Tallman...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Rant on MY journal anytime!

I work a second job and the manager of the place (a farm store) has chickens. She talks to me about them from time to time. One day we were talking about eggs. She told me she "buys" about a dozen a week and I questioned that - "buys?"

Then she goes into this LONG explanation about how the eggs that her chickens lay are too "gross" so she THROWS them away and buys her eggs at the store! This woman FEEDS chickens throws away THEIR eggs and then BUYS eggs to eat!?!

Now I don't get it.
Which explains why aliens no longer try to make contact when they visit our planet......they find no intelligent life forms. :rolleyes: Someone has to stay up all night to get that ignorant. :lol:

What amazes me is that its not just the city born folks who feel this way. I live in the middle of commercial poultry country and everyone SEES what goes on in those places....heck, they work and own those places! And they still want an egg that's been bathed in the fecal soup water/solution from a chicken who is confined, sickly and miserable.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Throwing out eggs from her own chickens and buying store eggs........now if that ain't the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Some people are just soooooooo ignorant. I guess they think meat comes from a freezer, huh? :rolleyes: