Farmfresh City Homesteader - the sound of falling oaks.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I love a good clear out!! :D Yes, I agree a good clear out is very hard work, but when the job is done, there is such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment.

When we put stuff into storage, I mark the date the box of "stuff" was stored. If we open a box, we cross of the original date and add the current date. Everytime a box in storage is opened, the date is changed. When it is time for clear out, any box without a changed date goes - whether it be a donation to a charity, yard saled (rarely, I don't have the patience or time), given away, recycled, or tossed. The only exception to this rule are the boxes that hold the Holiday/Christmas items. But we go through each of these boxes as the items are used. I find this works well at keeping unwanted items in storage.

I used to have a 3x5 card that prompted an annual clear out. My sisters used to joke that my attic and basement were cleaner than some people's houses! :lol: But I find since we have moved to our current place, I seem to have a small clear out every 6 months. This place has an attic and basement, both filled with the landlords' stuff, so we don't use them. We only have 2 rooms in the house with closets. And they are teeny closets (5ft long by 3ft deep each), which we use to hold our clothes. So the 2 spare bedrooms have shelves/boxes along the walls. No matter what I do, they always seem messy to me, so I tend to weed through them often to see what I can remove from our lives. :rolleyes:

I would love to have more pears to process. But I do have some apples that I want to dehydrate before we leave for ds's wedding. I am running out of time for getting stuff done! :)

Don't forget to stay hydrated and take your usual breaks, FF!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
How cute, I can just picture Sage with his 'inner huskey' kicking in! :D

I think old folks in those places love to see animals. There was a resident cat at the one my grandma lived in. That was a well loved cat!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
That's so great about visiting a nursing home with a dog- I'm sure everyone loves the pet therapy!

Just a quick question- when you move your plants inside for the winter, where the heck do you put them? Do you have a lot of south facing windows? I have 3 avocado trees and 2 large pots of geraniums that come in and fill our entire faux sunroom. Our mini potted stone pine Christmas tree also has to have a space since it can't freeze according to its tag. I just don't have enough windows!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good job Sage!!! What a beneficial day for both him and the other residents. Such a win, win situation. Sorry the orchard was overrun with tourists. Perhaps you could call and pre order the cider? Then park right in front of the door for pick up.
:D

Good to hear your plants are all moved for winter. I still have a few things I should get done here. But lots of time for us.

G