Farmfresh City Homesteader - the sound of falling oaks.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Couldn't pay me enough to go back..... ;)

Hope your day gets better....just hug a goat when you get home, that'll make you feel better!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
That's another reason I didn't want to teach anymore....it's just too much. Too much on the teachers, too much on the kids, too much on everybody involved. In our county they couldn't afford to do summer school cause of budget cuts. They made it so that if your child failed then you had to pay $300 for them to attend summer school or they would be held back. Nobody can afford to do that so no summer school this year. The bad thing is that because of this "no child left behind" thing, they will be advanced to the next grade anyway at a certain age so what's the point?

It's gotten to the point where it is not about the kids anymore....it's keeping up with the rest of the world's expectations and trying to do more to make everyone think we're better than them.

I think that's why there has been such a huge resurgance of homeschooling lately, cause people are tired of seeing their kids so burnt out at a young age.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to say that I have two wonderful kids and I absolutely HATE sending them to school and miss them very much when they do go. The school my kids went to last year was absoluletly wonderful and I felt good sending my kids there and they were happy there. DD actually cried since she was going to have a different teacher this year. That is how school should be and I think they were lucky to go to a good school like that. Today was their first day down here. This new school is big and I worry about them adjusting. At the old school they were always excited to go on the first day and actually woke me up this morning way before time to get ready. I really hope they like this one as much. If not then I have already looked into homeschooling for them.

becky3086

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
lorihadams said:
It's gotten to the point where it is not about the kids anymore....it's keeping up with the rest of the world's expectations and trying to do more to make everyone think we're better than them.

I think that's why there has been such a huge resurgance of homeschooling lately, cause people are tired of seeing their kids so burnt out at a young age.
I feel that too. I think the schools are trying to raise children FOR the parents. WHAT IS A PARENTS job anyway? We house their children, feed them breakfast, lunch and up to three snacks a day, if they have before and after school care. There are kids we clothe, kids we wash (they come to school FILTHY and smelly and it is not fair to the child NOR the children that have to sit near them to let them remain that dirty.) and some kids we even care for while they are sick. Parents will send them on the bus with a fever or bad cold and then we will be "unable to reach" them to come and pick up their sick kid!! We have kids we have to teach behavior standards like honesty, respect, integrity, work ethic and even basic table manners to.

What DO those PARENTS do?
This is completely the truth. I homeschool my daughter because she would come home with these dark circles under her eyes and all teary, cause she was just so tired. (course that is only one reason I homeschool her).
I also work at the Boys and Girls Club here, we are basically day care for poor children. It is amazing though to me the amount of parents who will leave their children with us from the time the bus drops them off to us until we close at 7:00 p.m. During this time we have them do their homework, get lots of exercise, teach them about computers, and they play in the game room. The kids are sent to us sick and the parents numbers that they leave us are never working, or we get the parent but they don't show up to get their kids for hours and we also are trying to teach all the things you mentioned. It is just a shame that we have to!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh no, FF! sorry you had to go back to the grind.. and yep i'll pull some weeds for you.

someone else was saying they were glad for a job.. but that there is the same amount of work (if not more) and fewer people doing it!

i'll give you a shout-out tomorrow when i'm standing out there in the heat index of 100* or so
;-)

great work on the turkeys, btw! whoot!
:)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
lorihadams said:

I feel that too. I think the schools are trying to raise children FOR the parents. WHAT IS A PARENTS job anyway? We house their children, feed them breakfast, lunch and up to three snacks a day, if they have before and after school care. There are kids we clothe, kids we wash (they come to school FILTHY and smelly and it is not fair to the child NOR the children that have to sit near them to let them remain that dirty.) and some kids we even care for while they are sick. Parents will send them on the bus with a fever or bad cold and then we will be "unable to reach" them to come and pick up their sick kid!! We have kids we have to teach behavior standards like honesty, respect, integrity, work ethic and even basic table manners to.

What DO those PARENTS do?
They rely on good hearted people like you! Sad though really.

Thank goodness those kids have you :)

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What do those parents do ?? some of them work 2 jobs each to keep the home over these kids heads as well as feed them, not all parents are lazy and dont want to deal with there kids but I have seen the one that are that way I work in the school system , and I have seen good and bad in it, some teacher are really no better than the parents, then I see teacher that go beoned the call of duty for there kids and I have been treated like I am less that a parent by a teacher and some teacher have treated me as a equel I think each case is different, the thing I do is be the best I can but I understand where ur fustration can come from Sorry just added my thoughts:hide

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so, how was your first day back?

sounds like you can join me in farm and field envy - sometimes I'm whining to myself when I get home from work and log on and see all the things everyone who isn't working outside of the home are doing - processing food, wrangling critters, peaches (that'd be OFG), baking, fermenting, putting up pens, peaches (that ohio gal again), watching chicks and ducks and turkeys hatch, and planning where the goats are going, and, and, and......

I just keep reminding myself that so far my job is what allows me to live where I do.

hope the day went fast!

Latest posts