tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Day 2 of broth fasting. Feels just fine. Doesn't feel fantastic, like a clean fast. Oh well. It was an easy win to get past 24 hours. I'm curious what happens around 48 hours since I usually crap out with dehydration symptoms about then. I'm consuming more sodium and fluid than I would on a clean fast, so maybe it will be fine?
I started feeling dizzy and nauseated after 40 hours of fasting. I took a nap and decided to eat a bit after 42 hours. Dizzy is normal for me, but when I get dizzy + nausea, I'm done. Not too shabby considering I haven't fasted over 30 hours in a year. I ate few cheese curds, unsweetened dehydrated fruit, and a serving of homemade mac n cheese. I'm resuming broth fasting.

I noticed my vision is less blurry, my tinnitus is reduced and ear fullness is gone without taking pseudoephedrine for it today. That's motivating. If I continue fasting I will have less pain too.

don't forget potassium- that's what gets a lot of people in trouble with fasting.
I've had so much trouble with sodium in the past that I've neglected potassium. I have had consistently low-normal blood levels of potassium so it may be part of why I haven't been able to fast past 48 hours.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
okay, I'm back! I needed to get my vitamin situation sorted out and I think I've got it handled now.

It's first of the month conveniently :clap great time to restart a habit. Plus, it's the traditional season for fasting. Spring was historically the season of starvation before food supply chains.

Anyone else joining this round?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’ve never thought much about fasting but my kids’ pediatrician said she does and recommended it, now I’m thinking about trying it. But not for as long as you guys! 😂

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You got rules and regs to go with this fasting thing or do we just figure out what works best for us? I'm thinking a steak, potato and cheesecake fast sounds pretty good, lol! But, I'm willing to try. It's been a long time since I did anything more than intermittent fasting though...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
You got rules and regs to go with this fasting thing or do we just figure out what works best for us? I'm thinking a steak, potato and cheesecake fast sounds pretty good, lol! But, I'm willing to try. It's been a long time since I did anything more than intermittent fasting though...
I'm thinking individual rules? I'm going for time restricted feeding (16:8, 18:6, 20:4 etc) or OMAD (one meal a day). I haven't thought about it too much. I still like to eat... :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I’ve never thought much about fasting but my kids’ pediatrician said she does and recommended it, now I’m thinking about trying it. But not for as long as you guys! 😂
Don't cold-turkey into fasting if you can help it! Not a fun time!

A great start is to figure out when you tend to start and stop eating. Like maybe breakfast at 7 am and bedtime snack at 11 pm. Then try to reduce that time by one hour. Most people have less appetite in the morning and decide to delay breakfast.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don’t eat after dinner around 6, and don’t always eat breakfast until after 8 ish… so I guess I may not have all that hard of a time starting!

Does fastening mean no coffee though? That’s probably not manageable 😂

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I don’t eat after dinner around 6, and don’t always eat breakfast until after 8 ish… so I guess I may not have all that hard of a time starting!

Does fastening mean no coffee though? That’s probably not manageable 😂
Keep your coffee if you can manage without sugar!

You're already doing 10:14 time restricted feeding. That means you eat during 10 hours of the day and fast for 14 hours.

Most people see extremely slow or no weight loss results until they are doing 20:4. But, there are tons of non-weight-loss benefits that start when we bump the feeding:fasting ratio beyond 12:12 so don't feel pressured to extend your fasting hours beyond what is comfortable.