Favorite Old Cookbooks?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Umm.... I defer to Google... I have a couple of cookbooks but I actually don't remember looking at them. So bad. I have the Ball canning guide for when I start canning, but that's about it...

Will be watching this thread though!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I discovered The Settlement Cookbook when I was around 13. I think my mom had been given it by one of her little elderly ladies she cooked and cleaned for. She had several. I fell in love with the cookbook, and have carried it with me through many years and moves now. It has been through military moves, hurricanes, and 3 children. Now it is old and very fragile. I revisit it from time to time, but it was becoming too fragile to even open anymore. So I looked on ebay and ordered a replacement. same age, but better condition. So I could continue to treasure the original one I had and keep it safe.

https://www.tastecooking.com/the-settlement-cookbook-116-years-and-40-editions-later/

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love to cook but having no one to cook for makes me far less enthused. LOL I mean, what do you do with a huge meal several days in a row?:cool: Yeah, I cook big and freeze but it isn't the same as when I had 10-15 showing for dinner, or cook out, etc. So it isn't often I go thru the boxes of cookbooks anymore.

Now, as to the new diet, Bay, it's really basically what the "old" farmers ate...meat & veg. But they did do breads (grain) and often dairy (if they had a cow/goat). Sugar was expensive and a luxury. My mom used to say only sweets were holidays and important company:p Seems jelly was pretty exciting for them & not much made. And much of the meat was wild game -- venison, coon, rabbit, etc. A pig was pretty special for many.

Hmmmm...no dairy, no mac/cheese, no cornbread, no dessert:eek::eek: Hope you drink your coffee straight from the pot! :rolleyes: I do. Yeah, I'd need a cheat day. :lol::lol: A once a week little treat day.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Supposed to be deprived for 30 days, then add things back into the diet in moderation. My husband eats junk, candy, sweets of all kinds AND he brings it home where I eat it too. It pisses me off when he buys bags of candy, because if it's here, I will eat it. He's finally gained enough weight that he's mad at himself so maybe this will work. I tell him that eating 2 loaves of bread a week makes him fat, but he just keeps on eating toast slathered in butter and honey. At the grocery store, he fondles every package of trash food like a little kid in the toy department. And some of it goes home with us. :he

I can do ok on vegetables and meat. A little dairy thrown in now and then and I am fine. But bags of chips, peanuts, Little Debbie cookies, popcicles, sugar everything, any and everything unhealthy.......WTH I give up and plow into it right along with him. I'm done.

Devonviolet

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some of the best cookie recipes.

The sugar cookies are the best.

View attachment 5440
Look at the price in the upper right corner. $2.95! Don't ya just love it???

That brings back memories of baking cookies and taking them around, in dress boxes, to sell to the neighbors, for $$$ to buy Christmas gifts for the family. We didn't have a lot of money those days, and that cookie money was a big deal.

Those white dress boxes weren't very strong. So, my box collapsed spilling yummy butterball cookies all over the ground. I had to go home for a new box & more cookies. I was NOT a happy girl!!! :hit

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love reading on food history. The thing with cane sugar is that when it was introduced to Europe there was a bunch of health issues that started showing up in the rich who could afford it. It was concidered common knowledge at that point in time until the 1900s that too much sugar caused health problems. That's why treats and desserts were only special occasion items.