Favorite Old Cookbooks?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sugar industry did a massive coverup of the research they funded that implicated sugar as cause of heart disease. That's when they launched the campaign on fat. The research was done in the 70's and was released January 2016. Or published in RD industry magazines Jan '16
I'd say we should all listen to our bodies and eat "natural" Fat and sugar are not baddies, it's the processed crap they are feeding us. Go read any food label and look at the numbers of artificial stuff added. It's scary!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also have cream corn, butterbeans and purple hull peas-that are NOT on the diet! I found a food list on the net for this diet and went more than a little nuts on ordering vegetable seed. Waiting. On. Spring. Garden

so, aren't these foods you can add back into your eating, in moderation, after you have been on this diet for a while? I understand about the "it's here" temptations but, good food is hard to toss! It appears the diet is eliminating the high carb veggies. Milk, peanuts, grains have always had some issue for many and in years past reasons were unknown. Now the lactose, gluten, sugar, etc., effects are beiing studied and brought out. As to MILK -- I would not be in favor of that leaving my menut LOL. Plus, much of the lactose problems are due to the casein. Cows with A2 casein give milk that is far more tolerant. Goats have A2 and the smaller fat molecule is alsoeasier to digest, whick is why so often people say they CAN drink goat milk, not cow. My goats give me delish milk!! Fortunately never a milk issue for me...goat or cow.ir

Beyond the corn & beans, what is the major change you see in your garden lineup?

I love reading the old cookbooks that spell out "how to" cook from the wagon train days. LOL

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember reading about a study where someone had figured out the average calories eaten in the mid-1800's by midwestern farmers-- it was something like 4000 calories a day! And then you look at the painting "American Gothic" and you just gotta shake your head at how much work they must have been doing, to eat that much and still be that skinny.

those 4000 calories weren't corn syrup, added sugars, preservatives, and the plethora of additives in "modern" foods.

@Mini Horses after the initial 30 days, yes those foods can be added back in our diet, in moderation. My garden is going to be much the same but I am adding Brussel sprouts and artichokes, several other things that I can't remember at the moment.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a few Hershey cookbooks from the 1970's, one being a reprint from 1930. My great aunt retired from Hershey and when she died, I got the books. I also have a cookbook from 1971 titled The Charlotte Cookbook. It has recipes from the high society ladies of Charlotte, North Carolina. There is a section of meal plans for every holiday, plus dinner parties. Everything is from scratch, no Cool Whip-REAL cream is used in the recipes.

I got Miss Kay's Duck Commander Cookbook. I was a big fan of the Duck Dynasty TV show and they end every episode of the family sitting down to supper at Miss Kay's table. They always raved about her cooking, so I got the cookbook. I was so disappointed. I wouldn't cook that crap, much less eat it. It is all made with canned, boxed or frozen (processed) ingredients. I have never used it.

I have The Eyes Of Texas Cookbook, published 1987. There was a show called The Eyes Of Texas that came on weekly featuring people, stories and events in Texas. I loved the show and never missed it. They asked for family recipes and did they ever get some awesome recipes! My Daddy bought the book and it is signed by several of the cast members of the TV show. There was a large influx of Czech and German settlers in the mid to late 1800's and there are recipes that came from "the old country" along with Tex-Mex, Cajun and family recipes that have been handed down for a hundred years.

I have a Fannie Farmer Baking Cookbook from 1984 and it is full of great recipes. I had at one time a Fannie Farmer Cookbook I got in 1972, but lost it somewhere along the way.

After the first of the year, DH and I are going on The Whole30 diet. I sent for 4 books, 2 of which are cookbooks, 1 has 150 recipes and 1 has 500 recipes. Our son in law and daughter are on it now for his health's sake. He is overweight just enough to be uncomfortable with it and wants to do better. We are both 20 pounds from where we would like to be, so we are going to do it too. There will be no dairy, no grains of any kind, no sugar, no sugar substitutes or sweeteners of any kind. It is meat and vegetables. I am looking forward to it AND all those recipes!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are using up the "no-nos" and not replacing them. We have a freezer full of pork, lamb, beef and chicken. I also have cream corn, butterbeans and purple hull peas-that are NOT on the diet! I found a food list on the net for this diet and went more than a little nuts on ordering vegetable seed. Waiting. On. Spring. Garden. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sweet & Spicy Bear
I don't think I could eat bear - not sure why - just doesn't seem like something I'd be interested in. Somehow eating a predator animal doesn't really appeal to me - even though bears are technically omnivores - same as a pig....