Feed prices

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. We bought bulk feed for the steer, it will run about the time he goes to slaughter. But then we get pigs and Cornish cross chickens. Plus the sheep, horses and laying hens. Can’t win.....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not buying into the "shortage" lie. Not when my neighbors told me, 2020 was the best year they can remember for corn. Someone or some group of someone's is not telling the truth and are liars.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If fuel gets too high, there will be less double crops planted as the farmers won't be able to afford to harvest the crops.... and all that fuel goes into the grain bin dryers too so if it is a wet year, it will cost a bundle to get the grain dried down to a storable level.

if they can get good enough prices for what they grow fuel prices won't prevent planting or harvest. at present i see no long term indication that oil is heading higher than it has in the recent past. instead i suspect what will happen will be like what has happened in the past. as the price goes up more production is brought on-line and eventually that drives the prices back down.

as time goes on the supply of oil will be even greater in reserve if there is enough people able to afford and use an electric car/truck instead. that will be a significant headwind for price increases to beat against.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
if they can get good enough prices for what they grow fuel prices won't prevent planting or harvest. at present i see no long term indication that oil is heading higher than it has in the recent past. instead i suspect what will happen will be like what has happened in the past. as the price goes up more production is brought on-line and eventually that drives the prices back down.

as time goes on the supply of oil will be even greater in reserve if there is enough people able to afford and use an electric car/truck instead. that will be a significant headwind for price increases to beat against.

I think your thoughts are wishful thinking - ask yourself one simple question. Can you afford a new electric car? I know I can't. Maybe your Mrs Warbucks but I sure ain't Mr. Warbucks.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our DD is on her second hybrid car. Then for hauling kids, they have a van. Even the van gets good gas mileage.

I read an article that said if everyone gets electric cars, there is not enough electricity production to sustain them.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our DD is on her second hybrid car. Then for hauling kids, they have a van. Even the van gets good gas mileage.

I read an article that said if everyone gets electric cars, there is not enough electricity production to sustain them.

you can read all sorts of things on the internet.

sometimes they're right. sometimes they're wrong. most the time everyone forgets about it because they're reading something else right or wrong.

electric cars do not need a huge amount of energy for most people, once they are charged up. a daily trip to town might run a few kilowatts, a good example would be our own use, we don't use the car that much, a few times a week, even if drained completely an electric car can be set up to charge overnight or during the day or when the rates are the lowest (when the sun is shining for the desert SW) or when the wind is blowing and there is an extra bit of juice around.

in fact, when you get a lot of car batteries plugged in and available to the power company for power games you can bet that it becomes well worth it for everyone to engage in those games. all those huge batteries being built now to help with storing extra energy from solar and wind won't be needed as much the more people have their cars plugged in. add water heaters and AC into the mix and it really gets fun. and this is only scratching the surface.

Latest posts