Feed prices

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And the ones producing it are doing more and more for the same return... until they get to the point that there is no more room to "tighten the belt". The only way is to get bigger and bigger so the costs can be spread out over a larger number of animals/acres.... and the small farmer CAN NOT compete. You add in the new proposed minimum wage.... if it should come about.... NONE of us farmers will be able to pay that without getting bigger..... the antithesis of this whole self sufficiently group that believe in the smaller, take care of yourself and your family/group......
So, then where are you going to get things when we can no longer afford to keep businesses open because the input costs are more than what we can possibly sell things for???? Or are allowed to sell things for????? The big companies will just get bigger because the small ones cannot compete. And then the prices will be so far out of the budget that people will do without, go without, and suffer for it. And you will only be able to obtain what the big companies want you to have.
Instead of trying to change this country to be so like all these other ones that are supposed to be so wonderful....those people should just move and go live in one of these "wonderful" countries and see how much freedom you have and how well you live. Leave us dumber ones to just suffer through our less than perfect type of government and country and continue to have to work for a living and be able to work enough to get ahead if we want to.

there's a lot in here to reply to and i won't be able to do that.

my take is that if you are worried about a minimum wage requirement that doesn't affect you directly unless you are paying someone else. IMO for a self-sufficient organic grower of produce there are limited input costs, feed prices are a different consideration, but if you are buying from someone else who is also doing organic production then input costs can be lower, labor costs may have to go up, but to me when looking at whole system costs anyone doing organic production no matter what the labor costs might be should be able to out-compete a larger ag-chem grower. simply because lower input costs.

if you want to debate that it's ok with me, but to me that would primarily deal with the idea that you are working either in a mono-crop situation or not being able to scale effectively to compete, but that's a cost of equipment which a smaller grower shouldn't get too embedded in dealing with. if you're not doing ag-chem stuff then you're also possibly able to avoid a lot of the other expensive equipment.

this is all me winging it on a short bit of time here so, well, ignore it if you want, just some comments on things how i see them.

if you want to talk more about growing things and gardening i spend a lot more time on TEG because i am primarily a gardener and not doing things with animals and feeding issues.

HornyToadAcres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I was trying for optimism with my gas price prediction as in Hoping it is ONLY $4/gallon this summer. I'm laughing only because the alternative is not pretty.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Perhaps completely off topic here but I keep hearing of Millions, Trillions and Billions. I must admit theses amounts of money, are thrown around so frequently. I don't even think twice about what, they really mean anymore.

For fun and because I was bored and just so I could bring myself back to reality... I said what if 1 dollar equaled 1 second of time? Well let's see what we have...

1 Million seconds = 11 1/2 days
1 Billion seconds = 31 years
1 Trillion seconds = 31,709 years

How's that for an eye opener? Are we having fun yet?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quote copied from Creal: Here we go again... I opened the news this morning and wham 1.9 Trillion Dollars is staring me in the face.

If 1 second equaled 1 dollar. 1.9 Trillion seconds is a little more than 60,247 years.

The world has gone plum nutty!

Creal, the good news: We won't have to deal with it. For, I am convinced: At the current strength and rate of the prophecied labor pains, we will be in the new heaven and new earth. That debt slate will have been wiped clean, along with all of the evil that it represents.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Quote copied from Creal: Here we go again... I opened the news this morning and wham 1.9 Trillion Dollars is staring me in the face.

If 1 second equaled 1 dollar. 1.9 Trillion seconds is a little more than 60,247 years.

The world has gone plum nutty!

Creal, the good news: We won't have to deal with it. For, I am convinced: At the current strength and rate of the prophecied labor pains, we will be in the new heaven and new earth. That debt slate will have been wiped clean, along with all of the evil that it represents.

Are you referring to Nesara and Gesara?

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do wonder. But for centuries people have said the same. So I worry but don't know.
It does look like the down fall is coming for the "last" great nation.
No, I am referring to the new Jerusalem, which will be set up after the Tribulation period. It is my humble opinion that we can't be far from the time when Jesus states, ENOUGH.... Then, his people are removed, to let those who remain fend for themselves in this fecal pit.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My gardening and farming philosophy is this: I use what I need to use in order to produce the needed result: In the garden, I will use what I must to prevent crops from being destroyed. That includes some Sevin, Permethrin. I need to get BT on my list. In the flock: I use permethrin, and have used some sevin. I also use wood ash. I need to get Ag lime into my repertoire. For persistent mite infestations, I use Ivermectin pour on. 6 - 8 drops per bird. Works like a charm. And after reading about the effective use of Ivermectin to treat covid, I have no qualms about using it on my birds. It's off label. So, I with-hold eggs for 7 days for my customers... but don't worry about that for my own use. Even if I used a LOT of chemicals in garden or flock, it would pale in comparison to the amount of residue that I would likely pick up on my hands by handling the produce at the grocer.

I draw the line with sevin, to me it's like setting off a nuke, it kills them all (beneficial & non-beneficial).

Now the only plant I use sevin on is eggplant, then it's only until it gets tall enough that the flea beatles don't devour it in a single day.