Feed sack re-purposing ideas

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey sparks that is a really good idea!!!!!!! I have paper feed sacks too that I usually use to hold my paper recycle stuff. I think gift wrap is a fabulous idea!!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have a big problem with the plastic woven feed bags. The thin plastic "threads" go willy nilly if they are cut. I usually have to carefully cut the string used to sew the bags shut, or I worry about these loose plastic threads going into my horses feed. How would you cut these into a pattern for grocery store bags? Are we talking about the same bags here? :hu

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would probably use it as gift wrap too. My favorite gift I've ever given was a pretty, white, cable knit baby blanket that I made. I used plain brown wrapping paper and raffia to wrap it. When she opened it, everyone oohed and aahed over how beautiful the blanket was. I think the wrapping just made it seem much nicer than it was.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, BBH, I haven't worked on it yet, but I am thinking of not cutting the sides at all, just working with those seams. Then experimenting with using an iron and some foil and brown paper (to protect the iron) and slightly melting the lines that I want to cut. If that doesn't work, I will try basting before cutting.

I've become an expert at unravelling that little bit of string so that the bag stays intact! For the same reason, worry about the fibers getting into the animals!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
I would probably use it as gift wrap too. My favorite gift I've ever given was a pretty, white, cable knit baby blanket that I made. I used plain brown wrapping paper and raffia to wrap it. When she opened it, everyone oohed and aahed over how beautiful the blanket was. I think the wrapping just made it seem much nicer than it was.
I seriously doubt that! I bet the blanket was absolutely wonderful. The plain wrapping is artsy-fartsy, and highlights the beauty of the gift. Like putting it in a frame. When I started making jewelry, I started aquiring only very PLAIN tops, solid colors, and most of them not too bright. That way the clothing is a backdrop to the jewelry and doesn't overwhelm it. I think the plain wrapping does that for a lovely gift, too, and enhances the homemade aspect.

And what is more wonderful than something made by hand, with love!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Yes, BBH, I haven't worked on it yet, but I am thinking of not cutting the sides at all, just working with those seams. Then experimenting with using an iron and some foil and brown paper (to protect the iron) and slightly melting the lines that I want to cut. If that doesn't work, I will try basting before cutting.

I've become an expert at unravelling that little bit of string so that the bag stays intact! For the same reason, worry about the fibers getting into the animals!
Ahhh, basting first, that sounds like a good idea!! I was thinking I would duct tape the pattern before cutting too.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use the Nutrena Feed that comes in the plastic bags. I have cut and sewed it before into shopping bags. I even steam pressed it with a wet towel to make nice neat seams. I use a really heavy outdoor UV resistant thread. The only problem was my old singer could not handle it. My bobbin gave up after two bags. I have been told my new Brother machine would not have a problem and I should use a leather needle. I have not been brave enough to try it. I think the idea of using the bag as is and just adding handles would make the whole thing a lot simpler. I had a hard time with inside corners. Any ways I have rice bags and feed sacks galore waiting on me. Maybe this summer I'll get to them..
Oh I have even washed this bag in the washer. It feels softer and not quite as sturdy but held up well.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
TanksHill, those bags look great! Especially the one with the chicken.
Free, I have also become real good at unraveling the thread. For those of you who haven't: try pulling on just one of the ends, if one doesn't come out, try another one. If you get it right, the whole thing just unravels. I use the threat to tie bundles of lavender, flowers and other items.
By the way most plastics disintegrate, if left out in the sun long enough. It's the fact that they are being put in landfills and covered up that makes them last. This is also the reason why one should buy greenhouse plastic, when one is using it for a greenhouse. Of course regular plastic will work for a while.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you live in a flood prone area, they would make great sand bags.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks again, ladies.....Tanks, did you post those pics before? Maybe on byc? I know I've seen them, sorry for forgetting..... :rolleyes:

I think I may just have to go with your experience and just put handles on the cut-down bags. My good machine finally quit after 25 years or so of heavy use and I had to replace it with a much lesser machine (that drives me insane! Or should I say, more insane!) so now I don't dare risk it just for bags. If I simplify the project greatly, twine handles hand-sewn onto hand-hemmed cut-down bags, I could save my machine and have a hand project for when dh and I watch a show together on the tube. I can't sit still....

Although I do love your very professional bags! Maybe I'll just make nice ones with my two pretty bags with the cardinals on them.....