Feed sack re-purposing ideas

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
If you live in a flood prone area, they would make great sand bags.
:lol: Sorry, unclejoe, I was typing while you were submitting....didn't mean to call you one of the "ladies!" :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes Free, they were posted some time last year. I think Pamspride had shown me some for sale on Etsy. I hate to sew by hand, I just don't think I have the patience. But if it was only the top I might be able to manage. I have a great sized rice bag I want to add handles to. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Farmer Denise Yes the strings on mine unravel very easy. That's a great idea reusing the string.

Good luck everyone!!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just scanned this thread quickly, so please forgive me if this is already here - I'm saving them to use on areas where I want to kill grass and weeds. They are great to put down under mulch or for raised beds. Mine are all paper.
And, my rabbit loves to play in them. She has a huge cage that was converted from a chicken brooder and we just throw one in and she tears it up and runs in and out of it - very cute!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am saveing the paper ones to use as weed barriers around the garden. Held in place with a few well placed dirt clods, or rocks...this will keep me from haveing to pull weeds..and save my back. I have also used them for temporary barriers between pens, when the roosters decided to not get along. Just tack them to the fencing...and they cant see each other. After a week or so, they get over whatever tiff they were in, and all is good again.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just an idea on the bags. If you used a strip of fabric for the handle, you could use 2 layers and lay them down the sides of the bag, one layer inside the bag, one layer outside then sew them together with the side of the bag in between? (is that making sense???) In my thinking, it would save some wear and tear on your machine.

All these ideas are great!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I have a big problem with the plastic woven feed bags. The thin plastic "threads" go willy nilly if they are cut. I usually have to carefully cut the string used to sew the bags shut, or I worry about these loose plastic threads going into my horses feed. How would you cut these into a pattern for grocery store bags? Are we talking about the same bags here? :hu
What I do is machine bast around just below where I want to cut- or 2 baste lines and cut between them. Nothing ravels. Then I turn the seam under and sew it again, fold the strips I use for handles and sew it again. Those bags make really indestructable grocery bags.

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know this is reviving an old thread but having just read through it all (and a couple of others that are similar), I have a question. I understand that people have tried to sew these on sewing machines but that has been problematic. Several people mentioned using a serger with more success. I've never owned or used a serger but know it would be useful for many applications so thought I might look around and see if I can get one at a good price. My question is what brand do you/have you used and would you recommend it?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
right now we dont have many because we just have the hens...
but weve found them extreemly usefull this winter for hauling sand and salt from the dump, we keep a bag of sand/salt mix in each car as a just in case :) there strong enough to handle the weight and tight enough that i dont get salt and sand stains in the back of my car.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I am working on a big laundry bag made from a BOSS sack that has pretty cardinals on the front. It is almost done. I could sew it on my vintage Necchi with my treadle machine. The only issue was with the feeddogs gripping it sometimes. So sometimes I had to push it to get it going, then it was good. I made the handles by folding up a couple of strips from the bottom of the bag.