Feeding Animals When Feed is Not Available

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
For animal feed storage, a large metal trash can will do. Food grade wouldn't be necessary...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Food grade would be best if storing in plastic long term though Buff.

TheMartianChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I grow turnips for supplemental chicken feed and amaranth for supplemental feed for quail. I did switch to only buying gamebird feed for all of my birds. This allows me to streamline the feed. I then buy a 50lb sack of oyster shell and another of grit. We also supplement the chickens with mulberries that land on the ground and with wild grape leaves that grow all over the place. Winter would be a bit difficult, but we would scale back to a right-sized flock. With quail, I would just keep a few males and a lot of hens. It only takes 6 weeks for them to mature, so they are a quick turnaround protein crop and I could even keep them in the basement if need be... I wouldn't want to, but I could!

For storing a lot of feed, I'd probably store wild bird seed. Both my quail and chickens can eat it, though the quail cannot seem to break open the shells on sunflower seeds. Whole grains store better than pelleted food or ground/powdered feed.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I am working on storing pelleted rations as they keep longer than crumbles. Mainly for rabbits and my homemade mixed chicken ration......

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess I'd get rid of my laying flock, by either eating them or selling them, which if its an emergency, I shouldn't have a problem doing either and I'd keep my araucana projects because it'd be easier to feed and I could probably do it by hauling in weeds, grass and scraps, with a minimum of grain.
I think I'd free range the water fowl, because they could do my weeding in the garden; thus saving on feed and making the garden more productive........also, less chickens and more guineas =s better bug control.
These are some considerations we should pay attention to. We may have to face it one day. We may have to face a lot one day.

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
30 gallon metal garbage can holds 150 lbs cracked rice from mill @ less than 8 dollars a 50 lb sack... its a bargain I think...winter is a good time to store rice (won't sour in heat)....Chickens love it...