Feeding Animals When Feed is Not Available

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I will try and get the fat from the pig to make lard. But for the beef I will try my best to get scrapage, we had a lean grass fed though. Would that make a difference?

Only breweries we have are the illegal ones ;) :cool:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I will try and get the fat from the pig to make lard. But for the beef I will try my best to get scrapage, we had a lean grass fed though. Would that make a difference?

Only breweries we have are the illegal ones ;) :cool:
There is always going to be trimmings, just from the nature of all the muscles overlap and such. Most folks toss all of it in the grinder, not us. We like our 1/4 lb patties to be 1/4 lb when they are done cooking, not melting into a greasy glob.

Last beef, I think we had a couple of good size boxes.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think I have figured out storage capacity :D

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I think this is a thread we really need to work on and compile. Most of us probably cannot stock enough feed for our animals, either because of lack of finances or space. So I think it is really important we figure this system out now before we can't buy feed for whatever reason.
I don't have animals, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think the best option if you don't have access to purchased feed is to grow it yourself? I know that takes up lots of growing space, but should work out much cheaper in the long run if you save some as seed and plant that each successive year. It doesn't address the storage space issue, to my mind that would take either building a new building or carving out suitable space wherever you can. Hay is simpler to store than grain, so it would be easier to store for some animals than others.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
BarredBuff said:
I think I have figured out storage capacity :D
....and.......???? :hu :idunno :caf :pop
My Garage :lol: Why I didn't think of it I don't know. I can fit four big metal trash cans to store bulk feed in like rabbit pellets, and my home mixed poultry feed

Moolie, I wish I could. But we don't have the room for it or growing any big critters. It stinks :tongue

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great thread. My Hubby and I often discuss this.

We have only 2 acres, with 4 goats (2 does in their backyard pen, 1 buck with a wether in their frontyard pen), and about 40 chickens. We make about $20-30 a week from egg sales that goes to pay for their feed. We have just this year planted lots of fruit bushes and trees. Was told we could use tree leaves (from like oak, maple, willow, etc) for the goat feed... wonder why we never considered that?

Also, we're sprinkling alfalfa seed on our back acre so that when we "lawn-mow", we'll have alfalfa in the mix. Will press as much as we can into blocks for the goats to feed on during the winter. Plus we grow sunflowers, corn, soybeans for us and the critters.

remember that we don't HAVE to get our protein from animals. My son loves sunflower seeds, green beans and eggs, as well as my homemade pork-n-beans. Oh, and our goat milk.

I do need to get metal trash cans to store things because we have a horrible mouse problem, but those suckers are expensive!!

Anyway, my 2 cents. Great topics. Keep 'em coming.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Not only for storage but like you mice :rolleyes:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Moolie, I wish I could. But we don't have the room for it or growing any big critters. It stinks :tongue
I hear you, I have room for chickens/geese/ducks whatever, but live in a city that forbids it. Once our kids are out of high school and university we plan to move somewhere more rural so we can do more on that side of things. So for now, we can't have animals.