Feeding Animals When Feed is Not Available

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, hubs' job doesn't exist if we don't live in a city, so here we live. And we plan to stay till our kids have an education, since we our city has two universities, several colleges, and a polytechnic/trade school. By then we'll have our mortgage paid off and more savings, so we plan to sell at that point and buy something where real estate costs way less (it's very expensive here now but was way cheaper back when we first bought 15 years ago, so we have a lot of equity just in the fact that our home has appreciated a lot over those years) and then hubs will pick up something part-time (probably accounting) and do some custom woodworking on the side and that plus being more self-sufficient should take care of us.

smackiesmommy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
No one has really addressed the issue of the rabbits. Yes there are some things growing wild in our yard that they can eat and LOVE (never thought I would be so happy to have dandelions) and yes I am growing some lettuce for them right now but trust me they go through it quickly. Any ideas on what to do for them?

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If any of you have any garden space at all.... you could grow "cover crops" of things the critters will eat. (I haven't done it myself yet, but know people who have) Plant in fall after harvest, It should be ready in spring before you plant. Harvest and dry for storage. Like I said, I haven't done it yet, and I'm not sure what crops to use, but I'm sure a few internet searches will tell you.

Good luck!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
smackiesmommy said:
No one has really addressed the issue of the rabbits. Yes there are some things growing wild in our yard that they can eat and LOVE (never thought I would be so happy to have dandelions) and yes I am growing some lettuce for them right now but trust me they go through it quickly. Any ideas on what to do for them?
They are simple. Grass clippings, cut clover, cabbage leaves, broccolli leaves, lettuve, carrot tops, malformed carrots, fodder, and you can cut big grass for their hay. I am mainly wondering about the fowl.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
smackiesmommy said:
They are simple. Grass clippings, cut clover, cabbage leaves, broccolli leaves, lettuve, carrot tops, malformed carrots, fodder, and you can cut big grass for their hay. I am mainly wondering about the fowl.
Look to the old days, BB. What did your grandparents, great grandparents do? Any older folks around you can ask? My chickens free range most days (locked up at night) Luckily I live in a climate that allows this year round. My girls get commercial feed along with what they forage, but if it weren't available they would just get what they can get; no doubt egg production would decrease, but I don't think they would starve. I would try to to grow things for them for the leaner months, but I don't have a large garden, and I would be using the space I have mostly for people food.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cindlady2 said:
If any of you have any garden space at all.... you could grow "cover crops" of things the critters will eat. (I haven't done it myself yet, but know people who have) Plant in fall after harvest, It should be ready in spring before you plant. Harvest and dry for storage. Like I said, I haven't done it yet, and I'm not sure what crops to use, but I'm sure a few internet searches will tell you.

Good luck!
I'm interested in this too. I'll try to do a search but if someone gets to it before me, please post it here.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
smackiesmommy said:
Here's a couple links for feeding rabbits naturally, that I've come across in researching this:

The Nutritive Value of Common Pasture Weeds and Their Relation to Livestock Nutrient Requirements

Safe Plants for Rabbits

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What i have used in the past to store dry goods is food grade barrels. Now before you start about cost availability what not. You can get 55 gal & larger containers cheap from co-ops and TSC the big orange barrels run about 25-40 bucks. They are pickle barrels i have used them for years as feed storage / fermenters. Its a good place to start storing that last little bit from each feed bag. Or work out a deal with some one who goes to a co-op for feed corn. Should run you about 35-55 to fill a barrel by weight. When i would make a run to the co-op back home i never minded having someone ridealong with an extra barrel. Just fill them up head home and have an extra hand hand i didn't have to pay to unload.

The downside to using Brewer's spent grains is you really have to use them right then ( they get bugs fast) and look for a local homebrew club trust me tons of ppl make their own beer.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Also the big gray brute trash cans are food grade as well. Best fermenters ever for big brew days! Should be ok for grain. If you can find spent grain supplement that here and there put the saved scoop of feed in your Shtf stash.