Feeding goats

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Alright folks, anyone feed their goats a homemade feed mix from whole grains? I'm trying to get away from commercial feeds but am having a tough time finding much information about good mixes.

Also, if you do this, how do you ensure that they are getting enough copper?

Edit: I do give a free choice loose mineral

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I always got mine a mineral block for their copper. I didn't want to take chances with that. I did do some fermented feeds, they eat a lot less and get more from it when you ferment.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My goats are on pasture all year, we give them hay in winter (the worst hay we have that our sheep would rather starve than eat).

I give them loose goat mineral when I remember - which is not often.

We give them spoiled produce, like squashes or pumpkins with squishy spots, and overly-ripe garden produce, like gigantic yellow cucumbers.

An exception was my yearling buck spent the past winter in a small pen in the barn. He was to young and small to run with the others and was getting beat up. He had all-stock grain and good hay all winter.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Mine had a ton of forage and garden scraps too. We fed a ton of cut limbs from the property just thrown over in the goat pen. Then we did bonfires with what was left. Good supplementing for them!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Haha! I forgot about that! When I prune I throw branches to the goats (because I'm lazy and their pasture is close by). Then in summer, DS10 pulls the naked dry branches out of the goat pasture for bonfires. Win-win.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It's a ton less work gifting those fully leafed branches to the goats for a snack! Can't burn it till the wood dries anyway. Dual purpose farming folks! Lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol love it! My goats have a ton of brush, trees, etc to eat. I also feed grass hay and alfalfa pellets. I've never heard of people fermenting feed for goats, although I've heard a lot about doing it for chickens.

Did you use commercial feed or whole grains?

I was buying an organic feed mix but it was getting expensive. I believe it was oats, barley and peas. Plus alfalfa pellets and BOSS. I might try to recreate that (if I can find the ingredients. I only have found oats thus far). I have more recently been using Blue Seal and/or Poulin. I prefer whole grains. I had been reading at BYH about goat feed and now my brain hurts so I'm asking those of you who have had good luck with "alternative"/organic/homemade feeds for any advice!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Perhaps you could be looking at maintaining their pasture / plantings and managing grazing rather than alternatively sourcing grain feed? Seems like lower long term costs and greater reward?

Do you have space or interest to grow grain for them?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No, not really. Well we have 5 acres of land that is a LOT of brush, etc. But I am thinking for growing kids and milking does of different grain sources.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score