Feeding your dog raw food

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Ewww!! Today I picked up Primal chicken neck bones because they were only $3.50/6 pk. Jaxon didn't want to eat them when I was painting outside, but a couple hours later he wanted outside to finish it. I grabbed it to make it more enticing and there was MOST DEFINENTLY a dead beetle larvae under the skin!! Ewwwww!!! I threw it across the lawn and rushed him back inside.

I don't mind him eating my feeder crickets or mealworms (beetle larvae) but this was unknown!! In dog food!! Not ok. Primal will be hearing from me tomorrow.
Relax! Just some extra protein. I believe that micro-prey and algae (source of omega-3) is an important food source in the prey model diet. I even have nutritional information on maggots and such if you would like it.

:gig

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
*relaxes* ok! Lol I was worried because I have no idea what their facility is like, you know? If I knew where it all came from I would have picked it out and made him excited about eating it.

Which is another thing...my lab, LABRADOR is too CALM to eat raw. He looks at, looks and me and sighs because its WORK lol! I have to dance around it and throw it around a little to get him to touch it. :lol:

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So he ate a chiken wing and chicken neck, bones in. Haha of course I'm freaking out its too much bone! Its digests right?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
This past spring the boys were walking in the woods and jumped a herd of deer...one of the yearlings was staggering and falling down from malnutrition. The idiots brought it home with some vague idea of feeding it.

Of course, it died. I could very well even have had a disease, who knows? And then......

I gave it to my youngest dog for his own doggy pleasure....the next day I only found a small piece of the hide. And that was gone the next day. The dog had consumed the whole blamed thing, hooves, bones, fur...everything! We found no remains. :th

Dogs have amazing guts and constitutions, as do carnivores in the wild. Mine will eat most anything and never have any GI upset, diarrhea, ill effects.

I would have let him have his beetle ridden chicken necks....couldn't have hurt him! :) Bugs are great protein!
There are folks around town here that wait for a deer to be hit by a car or truck or whatever, and they go pick it up and leave it outside for their dogs.
We were at a football game a couple of years ago - the sheriff was sitting with us and a call came in about a deer being hit, the folks next to us took off like a rocket to go pick it up! :gig

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
MsPony said:
So he ate a chiken wing and chicken neck, bones in. Haha of course I'm freaking out its too much bone! Its digests right?
Yes. LOL :D Sorry for laughing. I was freaking out when I was new to raw feeding. Especially when a dog swallowed a drumstick WHOLE, then puked it up and start eating (chewing) it.

:lol:

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Haha its ok Tort :D laugh away! Oh oh, so guess how I got him to eat the wing?? Had to get a fish filet knife, cut off all the meat and break the 3 bones apart!! Oh and the beck? Break it into pieces!! Stupid labs, lol.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Haha its ok Tort :D laugh away! Oh oh, so guess how I got him to eat the wing?? Had to get a fish filet knife, cut off all the meat and break the 3 bones apart!! Oh and the beck? Break it into pieces!! Stupid labs, lol.
:gig

Now I'm laughing at your dog. Just skip a meal until he's hungry enough to eat. He'll figure it out quickly and then he'll LOVE it.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ms Pony, I am right there with you girl!

I finally got chicken :rolleyes: asian market, a bag of backs/rib bones for .59 a pound. Since the bones are really boney (not much skin or meat on them) I also picked up a package of wings.

I plan to give a boney hunk with a fattier/meatier wing. Does that sound ok?

Last night I gave my little fatty boy his first wing. I really expected him to turn his nose up, but he was pretty pleased!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have a question!

I am to feed boney meat 4 days a week and cooked veggies (dark leafy greens, sweet pots- nutrient dense not crap starch)/kefir passed thru the bender 2 times per week.

Tort helped me to determine that my little fatty needs 1/2 pound per day....so I measured out 1 lb bags that can be quickly defrosted.

The pooch is all in, 3 meals down- raw and a little kibble. No problems, no choking (miracle!) no barfing or belly aches......:thumbsup

Should I give him the whole 1/2 lb in the AM or split it between morning and night? He has gotten into the habit if having the bulk of his food in the AM and a small amount in the evening. Is that ok?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Go with whatever he is used to and whatever works. I feed once a day because that is what my older dog decided a few months into eating raw. Once he'd gained most of the weight he needed, he stopped eating in the morning. So when we got the new dog, I just put him on the same schedule. It works here. They do get handouts (like teaspoon size) with our meals and snacks....like a tiny bit of egg with our breakfast, a spoonful of milk when I filter morning milk, a bigger spoonful of kefir when I strain the kefir at night, a couple bites of cooked veggies off my plate at supper, peanut butter 'n' supplements before bed, etc. So they are really not going 24 hours without food.