Female troubles....

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mackay said:
noobiechickenlady said:
Mackay, the cranberry (and other deep colored berries like free mentioned, blueberries especially) are supposed to make the lining of the urinary track "slicker" so the bacteria don't adhere & multiply. Since the bacteria are being flushed from your system when you urinate, lessening the numbers your body has to fight off; I'm not sure how that would put you at risk. Would you explain, please? :)

?
I dont think you really read my post. I explained how the cranberry juice prevents adherance of bacteria to the walls of the bladder.

My issue with it is if bacteria are just slipping past and not imbedding in the tissue, you still have a bacteria issue even though you may not be feeling it. Your urine is pathogenic. Urine should be steril like the blood. No pathogens. If pathogens continue to be there, just not imbedding, you are still at risk. I would not have this for myself or anyone else.

I prefer an outright kill of pathogens and preferably with homeopathy which will boost the immunity so the body can destroy the pathogen on its own. But the others methods I mentioned will do an outright kill also without concern for developing resistant bacteria.

This is why I suggest D-mannose an absolute last resort. D mannose prevents bacteria from adhering to the bladder. It is easy to use and highly effective if that is the path you have chosen but it will not cure an infection and I doubt cranberry juice will either in most cases. I guess it might be possible for the infection to flush away if it cannot imbed. But if it comes back in a couple of months then you know you never cured it nor had you elevated your dynamic resistance to infection.
I did read it, that's why I was asking questions. You explained your position more clearly (to me) in the above. Where I was getting stuck was how decreasing the numbers of bacteria by causing them to be flushed was a bad thing. I got you now tho. Your issue was not that it decreases the numbers, it was that it isn't a full, complete cure that actually kills the bacteria.

I'm just saying that decreasing the numbers of bacteria can't be all bad, because your body has less of them to fight off. You still get an immune response, but your system isn't overwhelmed with bacteria. Because surely the bacteria aren't ALL being flushed, eh?

Different approach is all. Not saying you are wrong by any means, there are many ways to skin a cat and lots more to beat an infection.

Thanks for the reply! :frow

claud

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
redhen said:
I've always been told that the reason that the blueberry or cranberry work for UTIs is because they make your bladder/urinary tract very acidic...and so the bacteria cant survive in that enviroment. Not sure if its true though.. :idunno
That's what the used to say but now that mechanism is under question. It's the adherence of the bacteria to the bladder wall(or inability to adhere) that seems to be the current belief.