Female troubles....

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Re: cranberry juice - As someone remarked, the juice cocktail has way too much sugar in it to be useful, and the small bottles of pure juice are expensive. However, if you can still find cranberries at this time of year it is easy enough to make your own (I always keep some berries in the freezer, "just in case"). Just put the berries in a saucepan with just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan (to keep them from scorching before they start producing juice). As they heat they will pop, and exude lots of juice. I will drink the juice, mixed with soda water, and eat the pulp - but I don't like sweet drinks. Others would probably want to sweeten it up somehow - but not with tons of sugar! Maybe this is a good place to use stevia. I've found cranberry juice to be most useful when used when the UTI symptoms are first noticed. Once the infection is well advanced it is harder to overcome with just cranberries.

ETA: All you canners out there could can up some juice to have on hand. Actually, I suppose even I could that. Hot water bath canning would be appropriate for cranberries, wouldn't it?

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've always been told that the reason that the blueberry or cranberry work for UTIs is because they make your bladder/urinary tract very acidic...and so the bacteria cant survive in that enviroment. Not sure if its true though.. :idunno

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oil of Oregano (wild Mediterranean type, not the spice) worked for me when I was in a cycle of UTI's and then yeast infections from the antibiotics. Took it for about 3 months first off, then just as needed for a couple weeks. Found it worked on sinus infection once too. I keep it handy now.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If I were 20 and TSHTF, hubby and I would just be "those crazy people with 12 kids" :gig

Fortunately, he had a vasectomy and I am 46. The factory should be closed permanently in a few years.

As for UTI's, I used to get them A LOT. One thing I stumbled on was eating really salty foods when I started having symptoms. That cleared it up faster than antibiotics ever did. I also took cranberry pills, but since going low carb, I haven't needed those.

Eliminating the sugars and starches really does have a big effect on your body. Fewer illnesses is a biggie. Another component to that is vitamin D status. Since supplementing in winter, laying out and summer and throwing out all my sunscreen, I seldom get sick. When I do (like today :p son brought home a cold from school and I am a little stuffy) it is much milder and doesn't last nearly as long as it used to.

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you have a sinus infection or just really plugged up take a half dropper full twice a day. Best to follow it with orange juice or an orange to cut the taste. What the natural doctor told me was that yeast was the problem and the infections are just opportunistic, the yeast kept my sinuses blocked up and swollen. It takes a while to really get yeast out of your system. There are Oil of Oregano leaf gel caps too but I tend to choke on gel caps so I went liquid. However I started on the caps in a pack called Yeast Buster and it worked wonders.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
What the natural doctor told me was that yeast was the problem and the infections are just opportunistic
True...and a diet high in sugars and other carbohydrates promote yeast overgrowth.

Latest posts