Figures From America Show Scale Of Bee Catastrophe

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am leaning more and more towards a link between GM crops and colony collapse.

If you have bees ... please don't use corn syrup to feed them ... just in case I am right. :(

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmFresh, I really could not agree more. I know a lot of people have taken a set against GMO's for their own personal/spiritual reasons.. I have mine as well, even prior to our getting a hive ( the bees arent here yet) but the more I read , the comparison between the two seem obvious to me.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
HoneyBees were brought to America to begin with, so I am sure we have plenty of other pollinating insects to take over if they do go...although I would really miss local honey. I am not too worried about pollination, however, seems to me that America has it's own native bees that will do that job.
The thing that DOES worry me is the WHY? What are we doing to destroy them so badly? And will it, or IS IT affecting other pollinating insects that we aren't aware of?
I think monocropping is a big factor. Like so many other animals, bees are losing habitat and forage... That goes for the natives, too.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Monoculture could play a role. Bees need food all year round not just when acres and acres and acres of one plant is blooming.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just for spits & giggles, here is a list of crops pollinated by bees.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_crop_plants_pollinated_by_bees

In the commercial industry it is (IMO) most likely a combination of monocropping, heavy pesticide use, breeding out diversity in the gene pool, babysitting health issues for production's sake and feeding HFCS which has toxins from its production laced through it. (who posted that article...?)

The hive I got a swarm from went wild over 19 years ago when my neighbor went to a nursing home. They have survived ever since, through the varoa mite, through a decade long period of hive collapse in Mississippi, through tornados, a solid month & half last spring of rain, followed by baking heat, followed by another month of rain with NO human involvement.

Another flag to me that says "Quit screwing with nature, it can take care of itself!"

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It could have been me. I did do an examiner post about mercury in HFCS.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
In the commercial industry it is (IMO) most likely a combination of monocropping, heavy pesticide use, breeding out diversity in the gene pool, babysitting health issues for production's sake and feeding HFCS which has toxins from its production laced through it. (who posted that article...?)
I think that's an excellent summary! "Propping up" bees just like other systems are propped up with chemicals worries me in the genetics that it is likely to lead to: Bees that NEED to be propped up.

My dream is to take my "store-bought" packages and over time get them to become naturalized to my area, due to swarming and breeding with other survivors in this area.

Thanks for the thread! After reading the link and talking to some beeks, I realized how very, very bad this situation is. Apparently the local commercial beeks in my area have had terrible losses this year.

The neat thing is one particular beek has now become interested in my relative's topbar hives, something he had not shown much interest last year while I was attending the bee meetings.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As a "supplement" food source. Used to be sugar water or honey water, but HFCS is cheaper. Same reason its in the soda and the salad dressing. And the bbq sauce. And the yogurt. And so on :he

:/ is right

ETA :welcome