Fill up your Gas tanks and reserve tanks TODAY!

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
The really sad part is that the oil prices are going up because of speculators. The speculators control the cost of commodities these days.

We love democracy, but it has a negative impact on our country when the Mid East countries start fighting for it. Makes it hard for us to control the countries when the leaders are controlling the will of the people.

Even if we had an oil derrick in every pristine spot in our nation and off of every shore it wouldn't replace the oil the Mid East is selling to us. It's a great talking point but it won't solve the problem. It would also use a lot of our potable water forcing the stuff out of the shale.

One thing good about the prices going up is that it will force people to conserve a little. Might even make some of the people in Washington look for alternative solutions to oil. Unfortunately it will also raise prices because of all the increased shipping charges and of course will hit the average Joe where it hurts.

I think I'll break out my copy of Mad Max so I can see the future.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I can see you driving across the prairie in an armor plated dune buggy * nod nod *

:D

Hubby talks to me about speculation and commodities. It was never something I was interested in before so I missed a lot ( giggle ), but he has mentioned you used to have to take delivery of commodities at a certain point. You couldn't just trade in contracts.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Yeah. That's whats wrong with it now. they just do it all on paper with I believe a 10% down payment. So they don't really have much skin in the game but they make out like bandits and drive prices on commodities sky high. Hopefully they will change that some day. I doubt it though. Same reason as everything else. Campaign contributions. The root of all evil.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like to keep an emergency stockpile of gas on hand, to run lawnmowers, chainsaws and generators, when needed, so it was on my to-do list to get my extra tanks ready, but considering the news, I might as well put it on tomorrow's chores.
If this is the drill, a lot of people gonna be in for a hard time, even if its temporary. It will affect everything. Personally, I've been trying to avoid stores for a long time and just take care of myself, but most rather earn money and spend it @ Wally World.
We will see.........thanks for the info. It certainly won't hurt anyone to be prepared.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good thing I can walk to work and my horse!

No prob about SHTF over here, hubby and his "circle of trust" happen to be survivalists who were together pre 2000...lots of training before and since then.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
One of my customers got hit head on Saturday. (everyone is fine) He was driving his "Big Red" Dodge pickup back home from filling the fuel tank when he got hit. Since it was obviously a total loss, he asked me if we could get the fuel out of it. Sunday, we spent an hour and a half, pumping 35 gallons of gasoline out of the truck and into 5 gallon containers. I believe he now has a little bit of a reserve fuel supply. :D :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When I totaled my truck a few years ago, I wanted to get the gas out (I had just filled the tank), but hubby wouldn't go for it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
One of my customers got hit head on Saturday. (everyone is fine) He was driving his "Big Red" Dodge pickup back home from filling the fuel tank when he got hit. Since it was obviously a total loss, he asked me if we could get the fuel out of it. Sunday, we spent an hour and a half, pumping 35 gallons of gasoline out of the truck and into 5 gallon containers. I believe he now has a little bit of a reserve fuel supply. :D :D
Yikes sounds nasty
being in that big red truck probably helped vs. a little teeney weeney economy car lol

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yeah well gas here in Canada has not been *below* $4 per US gallon for, gee, *years*. Current price is around 1.18/litre which is approx $4.70/gallon (since a litre is approx a quart, a US gallon is 4 qts, and exchange rate is essentially par, actually canadian dollar is a bit above us dollar at present)

And you don't even want to know what British gas prices are like!

Note that Canada has plenty of oil reserves but much of it has been allowed to be owned by American companies, so Canadians are essentially buying back a bunch of their own oil. So, "all the unfairness of the world" is not totally *against* the US... :>

Pat

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Good thing I can walk to work and my horse!

No prob about SHTF over here, hubby and his "circle of trust" happen to be survivalists who were together pre 2000...lots of training before and since then.
Hey Pony,
Wanna be my new best friend??? :fl