Fire fuel for heating - what do you use?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oh my goodness @Beekissed , I cannot tell you how awesome the two sided is lol

(This is when I start to feel more rural/farmer when I get really excited over things like log splitters :D)

Yep, you got the bug! Mom and I are always droolin' someone's wood pile as we drive across the state.

Speaking of wood piles, we split, hauled and put away 8 loads today, finishing up that humongous pile of oak logs over at my uncle's place. My mama, at 83, was hard to keep up with all day long...that woman is a machine! We left at 8:30am this morning and didn't get finished until 7 pm.

All three of us~we had help this time from my middle son~are crippling around here and I'm betting tomorrow we won't be able to move at all. That was one hurried up splittin' and gettin' session, with a hurried up pallet makeover under the hoop shed at midday.

Even my hair hurts...is that possible? :D

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm still buying wood for the fire :( Wish I could make my own. I did get a great deal on wood though, so I'm happy with that. I tried coal for the first time yesterday. It burns HOT! Goodness, I couldn't open the stove yesterday evening with that load in there and the house was a lovely and warm overnight as well, still going this morning. My only complaint on that would be that it stinks a bit, but not too bad in the house, so long as I keep the stove closed. I'm feeling confident that we'll be fine with heating the house with 90% wood stove heat this winter :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope you get all the wood you need! Does coal last longer than wood when it burns? I know nothing about heating with wood. How's your arm???

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I watched the time and the coal burned well and HOT for more than 4 hours. We load the stove before we start heading for bed and get up to a bit of fire still smouldering in the mornings, some 9 hours later. I love that! I really wish I could get out and collect wood, but I can't at the moment. There is so much around, especially after the storm, which took a lot of trees down. I need a truck.

My arm is much better, thanks. Still can't use it for anything heavy, which is frustrating and I have to rest it in a certain position, or it starts hurting, but it's healing.. Slowly, but it's healing. I was supposed to go back to the hospital today to get the report from my last X-rays, but got a bit of a cold, so I decided I'd rather stay in today and go there later when I'm better. I don't fancy sitting in A&E for 2 hours sneezing my head off and making everyone around me even more sick lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
X2- glad you're starting to heal! Get rid of that cold soon too!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Glad you've got some improvement! Hoping you heal fully and quickly. :)

X2- glad you're starting to heal! Get rid of that cold soon too!

Thanks! :hugs I'm anxious to get this arm back fully. Talking about wood for fire, I have a pile in the back waiting to be sawn into logs and that is actually a chore I enjoy doing, but can't at the moment. And the cement slab in the back needs a good, wet sweep too, to clean it. So many things slipped the last 3 weeks with me being physically challenged. And the garden! :( I wanted to grow something, but it's probably way too late now. We had heavy frost last week and a spot of snow two counties north of us.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's such a pain in the rear to want to do something and not be able to because of an injury. Grrrrrrrrr! Maybe you can plant a seed in a pot and hope for the best?!