Fire Wood (the way to go)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
What about the other letters in your signature line or did I translate incorrectly?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Yes, you decoded the letters perfectly. The spaces between the "words" are sometimes not very apparent when typed out. If I had spaced them better, they would have been separated into:

CQ DE KXXX

CQ DE KXXX is "ham speak" for Calling Any Station (CQ) From (DE) Me (KXXX).

Because Morse Code is basically spelling out words, there are a lot of abbreviation and short cuts used to save time and effort.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
OK, I remember from my early Army training, DE is this is.

Calling any station this is K0XXX.

Back to the thread. Sorry folks.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
We don't have a heater or A/C in our house (never did growing up either). We're in a relatively mild climate, but sometimes is gets really really cold (at least for these parts).

We have a fantastic wood burning stove that we've used forever. My dad was in construction and use to collect scrap wood from job sites. The problem is that most of it is really old pine and burns hot and fast.

I'm trying to use up all that stuff, but a year ago I helped a friend split some logs he got dropped off at his house. A mix of eucalyptus, pine, oak, redwood, etc. It's amazing how much longer these solid pieces of wood burn compared to the old stock lumber my dad collected 20 years ago.

The only problem we have now is we're in a pretty urban area and frequently have "save the air" days where we're not suppose to burn fires. Also, the old wood stove is showing its age and the controls aren't as good as they use to be so we sometimes have problems with it getting too hot and or smoking.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We've burned for about 15 years, with two different types of stoves. Our first one was a timberline cast iron stove that got so hot you had to leave the room, and it would glow hot red when stoked too high. Great stove though, got us through over a week with no power when we had the ice storm of 98 ( I think that's when it was)
When we moved to the log house we installed an Irish soapstone wood stove...and I have to say...the only downside was that you couldn't cook on it, it would never get hot enough to boil water...but it radiated the most fantastic kind of heat...and was very efficient. 10 facecords get us through a Canadian winter. And the house was never cold in the mornings.
But now I am not going to have wood heat...and I have to say I really miss it!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We moved up here about a year and a half ago, grew up with forced air heat. In this house we have a wood burning stove that is about 90 percent of our heating. We have small electric wall heaters in the far end of the house away from the wood stove, but we try not to use them.

We can pretty much get our wood from our land as we have alot of red alder. These age real quick and we are just taking out the old scraggly ones especially at this point.

My husband does the all the work except I tend the fire of course. But he does enjoy it. It satisfies him to do the work instead of write a bigger check to the electric company. I like playing with the fire, but hate it when it has gone out in the middle of the night and you have to restart it when you just wanted to throw in a log and go back to bed.

I like the whole idea of it from a survivalist standpoint (I have cooked on it!) but in reality, I miss the forced air because I get cold easily and it varies from being real hot and being out.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Our wood stove is firebrick lined, but is not one of the more efficient air tight models. We have cooked on it though. In the aftermath of last February's ice storm we would cook one pot meals by placing one of the cast iron "grates" (I can't think of what they are actually called at the moment) from the propane stove, on the top of the wood stove. The pot would sit on that and simmer. The propane stove worked, but we had been told that it could be up to a month without electricity, so we wanted to conserve propane. As it turned out, it was only a bit over a week before our electricity was restored.

We tried one of the heat reclaimers on our flu, as can be seen in the photo below. However, we found that on this stove, that it restricted the draft enough to cause excessive creosote build up. It was great for circulating the heat in the room, though. Our old cast iron pot belly stove had enough leakage and draft what the reclaimer worked great with it.

WoodStove.jpg

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Wow your stove is very similar to the one we just put in.

(got to find picture of ours)

Ours has a blower behind it, which blows air between the metal plates or something and out through the front of the stove and the little slots in the top. Turning the blower on adds heat fast to the house. The stove without the blower creates heat, but only close to it it seems. Ours is also lined with the bricks.

fire.jpg

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
That's a beautiful stove! I love your tile backing.

Ours has a fan built into it also that worked pretty good, up until the moment it quit. :D The company is REAL proud of their fans, and wants more than it's worth to us to replace it. This Spring we'll pull the stove out, and I'll see if I can locate a replacement motor for it from another source.

Someday, when I get surprised by a previously unknown uncle passing away and leaving his vast fortune to me, I'd love to own one of the soap stone and enamel stoves. Until then, I guess we'll just stick with our cheapie. :)

Latest posts