First canning attempt

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
Avalon1984 said:
I hear you. I wish there was somebody out there that could show me physically how it's done but I am out in nowhereland. I even had to teach myself how to butcher a chicken. I thought canning would be a bit easier but sounds like it is not. :hit Sounds like I need to go back to freezing for tonight.
Don't give up just yet :)

It all sounds complicated when you first read through it, but it's really easy (and quite addictive!) once you get the hang of it. Check out the youtube video and website I linked to, along with Tankshill's link--there's tons of info out there that will help.

If you can pick up a canning kit from your local hardware store today or tomorrow or even the next day, you can still can those tomatoes--they won't go off or get overripe that fast, so no need to give up and just freeze them unless you need to get them put up today due to your own schedule :)

Plus there's tons of great advice above, and if you don't have vinegar (most store-bought vinegar is 5%--it's standard) you can use bottled lemon juice as noted above.
I try not to get discouraged too easy. But sometimes all the information can be quite overwhelming. I will go ahead and get me a kit. I think that will be the best way to start. Is it safe to can tomatoes that have hada crash? The plastic box I brought them into the house with broke resulting in my hand getting bloody and some of the tomatoes doing a nosedive on the lawn. They are not split open (I already processed those) but they do have some mushy spots on them. Would that alter the taste?

Thank you again for all your help. I really enjoy learning from you all.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I think the crashed tomatoes would be fine as long as they aren't actually looking like they are turned bad. And those peaches will make lovely jam! I did peach jam one year from peaches from my boss's tree. Very nice, but I tend to have more jam than I can eat anymore so I have trimmed down to just strawberry and blueberry.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
valmom said:
I think the crashed tomatoes would be fine as long as they aren't actually looking like they are turned bad. And those peaches will make lovely jam! I did peach jam one year from peaches from my boss's tree. Very nice, but I tend to have more jam than I can eat anymore so I have trimmed down to just strawberry and blueberry.
Mhm... my next project: learning to make jam. My first attempt with raspberries turned into raspberry concentrate but boy was it good. Right now I am making due with eating the peaches. 4 eaten, 50 more to go. :pop

I will keep a close eye on those tomatoes. Mine have not been lasting very well for one reason or another.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So sorry to heat about your fall, hope you are ok!

For crashed tomatoes, I would make up the sauce ASAP and refrigerate until ready to can--then they won't go bad on you. You can get those peaches canned up quite easily once you get your jars. I'm not on my computer at the moment, but there is a great video for canning peaches at foodstoragemadeeasy.net--just search "canning peaches" on their site.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
So sorry to heat about your fall, hope you are ok!

For crashed tomatoes, I would make up the sauce ASAP and refrigerate until ready to can--then they won't go bad on you. You can get those peaches canned up quite easily once you get your jars. I'm not on my computer at the moment, but there is a great video for canning peaches at foodstoragemadeeasy.net--just search "canning peaches" on their site.
Thank you for your concern mollie, I am fine. Nothing that couldnt heal. I will check into those you tube videos on the peaches too. I just dont think I can eat them all by myself. I also had a feeling that maybe I should make my fallen tomatoes into sauce for now. Anybody want to come over for dinner? My freezer is FULL and I need ROOM! :ep

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Avalon1984 said:
valmom said:
I just do jams and jellies so far, and just use a big stock pot. I ALWAYS forget to put the dishtowel in the bottom!! And the canning racks don't fit a stock pot. And- buy the canning "kit" rather than pieces- I bought myself a jar lifter and funnel first and always wanted one of those magnetic wands that lifts the lids from the boiling water that comes in the kit- but not enough to buy a whole kit since I have the important things. (I found a stainless steel canning funnel when we were in Amish country in PA a few years ago on vacation- I like it so much better than plastic!)

I have really really terrible luck with tomatoes- I don't know why they don't grow for me- so I havent done tomato anything yet. This year was going to be the year to can crushed tomatoes for pizza sauce. The plants did even worse this year than ever :barnie
Ok, I will check with the farm store tonight. No...it's farrier night till 9pm. Store closes at 8pm. Tomorrow...no, I need to inspect bee hives. Farm store will be closed by then. Wednesday. phhheewww. Hope tomatoes and peaches will be good till Wednesday. Why do I manage to make this so difficult all the time :barnie

If it makes you feel any better, my tomatoes were great but everything else pretty much failed. Corn stopped growing at 3ft. Not a clue why.
Toss em in the freezer whole. They'll be fine and way easier to peel that way.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Avalon1984 said:
Hey, that's how I thought it was going to work. Mix same tomatoes with some onions and spices and here I go. Oh well, I think I better find me some good recipe. The good news is I have lemon juice. :weee
Just stick with the tomatoes and spices the first time. If you add onions, you'll definitely need a recipe because that changes the acidity and you have to be careful to have enough acidity to avoid botulism. Tomatoes are fine, particularly with lemon juice added. Onions and other veggies, not so much.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
Avalon1984 said:
Hey, that's how I thought it was going to work. Mix same tomatoes with some onions and spices and here I go. Oh well, I think I better find me some good recipe. The good news is I have lemon juice. :weee
Just stick with the tomatoes and spices the first time. If you add onions, you'll definitely need a recipe because that changes the acidity and you have to be careful to have enough acidity to avoid botulism. Tomatoes are fine, particularly with lemon juice added. Onions and other veggies, not so much.
Hah! I didn't know that. Glad you told me because I always add onions to my tomato sauce. I went shopping yesterday and got canning jars but that's about all they had. Must go to another store tonight and see what they have. In the meantime I will toss the tomatoes in the freezer.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You need to check abi's peach, Ginger, lime jam recipe. It is totally NOM!!!!! She posted it in the recipe section. It only calls for 10 peaches so you will still have 40 left to eat. :)

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Avalon1984 said:
AnnaRaven said:
Avalon1984 said:
Hah! I didn't know that. Glad you told me because I always add onions to my tomato sauce. I went shopping yesterday and got canning jars but that's about all they had. Must go to another store tonight and see what they have. In the meantime I will toss the tomatoes in the freezer.
Yeah. You want to get yourself a copy of Balls Blue Book of canning. Or just use the online USDA Complete Home Canning Guide for recipes and tips to start.