First canning attempt

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, this morning I realized that 4 of my 5 jars of tomato sauce did not seal properly. Strange though since the 3 jars of peaches I did afterwards sealed just fine. To reseal, do I just purchase a new lid and restart the process?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm told that the rubber bits on the bottom of the lid are only good for one use. And lids are 0.10$, so I'd recommend another lid and try again. Or store what you have in the refrigerator (use within a couple of weeks) and try again on your next batch.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I didn't know you could just recook it, rewater bath it with a new lid and start over.

Clever! I haven't had any not pop yet, so far so good.

I scrub the kitchen while the waterbath processes.

By the time I had to take the jars out, I was all cleaned up. Exhausted, but done.

Also, I have a small sink. No nice double sided. So I HAVE to clean as I go or I'm screwed.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup, just process again for the same amount of time with new lids :)

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
I didn't know you could just recook it, rewater bath it with a new lid and start over.

Clever! I haven't had any not pop yet, so far so good.

I scrub the kitchen while the waterbath processes.

By the time I had to take the jars out, I was all cleaned up. Exhausted, but done.

Also, I have a small sink. No nice double sided. So I HAVE to clean as I go or I'm screwed.
I like your efficiency. Me...not so much. Darn cable, I always get caught up watching something while the stuff is boiling. I'll get some lids today if the slave drivers let us go a minute or so earlier because its a holiday weekend coming up.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
Yup, just process again for the same amount of time with new lids :)
Thank you, thank you. thank you! Do you know what I may have done wrong? Husband insists I did not tighten well enough. Husband should know that I have hands of steel.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There's a few reasons for a failed seal--sometimes bits of food get caught between the sealing compound and the jar rim, sometimes the rim of the jar is uneven or nicked/cracked, sometimes the rings are too loose--or too tight (I tighten to just past where I meet resistance and usually do ok). It needs to be tight enough to hold the lid down, and loose enough to let air escape during processing (which is what creates the seal and keeps your food fresh).

Check the rims of each jar, sometimes there's an obvious bit of food, sometimes you'll notice roughness or a chip if you run your finger around the jar rim. Wipe the jar rims really well (I do it twice just to make sure I get any stickiness or food bits), apply new lids that have been softened in hot water for about 5 minutes, and water bath them again.

If you still have problems, mark the jars that don't seal and use them for other food storage (like for dry goods in your pantry). I have a few pretty antique jars with barely chipped rims that I've sanded down smooth that I use for pantry storage rather than recycle them (because I like them) :)

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
There's a few reasons for a failed seal--sometimes bits of food get caught between the sealing compound and the jar rim, sometimes the rim of the jar is uneven or nicked/cracked, sometimes the rings are too loose--or too tight (I tighten to just past where I meet resistance and usually do ok). It needs to be tight enough to hold the lid down, and loose enough to let air escape during processing (which is what creates the seal and keeps your food fresh).

Check the rims of each jar, sometimes there's an obvious bit of food, sometimes you'll notice roughness or a chip if you run your finger around the jar rim. Wipe the jar rims really well (I do it twice just to make sure I get any stickiness or food bits), apply new lids that have been softened in hot water for about 5 minutes, and water bath them again.

If you still have problems, mark the jars that don't seal and use them for other food storage (like for dry goods in your pantry). I have a few pretty antique jars with barely chipped rims that I've sanded down smooth that I use for pantry storage rather than recycle them (because I like them) :)
Ahh. That makes a lot of sense. Maybe the late night canning got the better off me. I will try and get new lids today and inspect and clean thoroughly before outting the jars in the pot again. What an adventure. I have learned so much. Thank you!