First canning attempt

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The "pinging" is your jars sealing. You want to hear that! After 24 hours, check the lids. There shouldn't be any "give" in the middle when you press down gently. Any that didn't seal, just put in the fridge and use. Congrats!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yay, sounds like you did great! Ditto on the "pings"--that's the sound of the inside jar pressure sucking the lid down to form the seal. :)

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, ping is good!!! Yeah!!!! :weee :weee :weee

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
Yay, sounds like you did great! Ditto on the "pings"--that's the sound of the inside jar pressure sucking the lid down to form the seal. :)
Moolie, do you think my peaches will be edible? I used the sugar my mom told me to use and boiled it all down. Smelled sooo delicious.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm sure your peaches will be fine, especially if you had advice from your Mom. :)

When I do peaches, I don't even boil up a sugar syrup--I just stuff a quart/litre jar full of peach halves or quarters, dump in half a cup of sugar when I get the jar half full of fruit, continue till the jar is full of fruit to the bottom of the threaded collar, pour boiling water in to leave half an inch of headspace, then the jars go into the canner for the appropriate processing time. They always turn out just fine, I believe my "cheater" canning "syrup" is considered a "light syrup". I do the same with pears.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That "ping" is one of the best sounds during canning season. The only better sound is the big sigh of relief you can give when you are done and can sit down for the day! :ya

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
I'm sure your peaches will be fine, especially if you had advice from your Mom. :)

When I do peaches, I don't even boil up a sugar syrup--I just stuff a quart/litre jar full of peach halves or quarters, dump in half a cup of sugar when I get the jar half full of fruit, continue till the jar is full of fruit to the bottom of the threaded collar, pour boiling water in to leave half an inch of headspace, then the jars go into the canner for the appropriate processing time. They always turn out just fine, I believe my "cheater" canning "syrup" is considered a "light syrup". I do the same with pears.
Whohooooooo! Yipii!!!! I love your idea although I must say it was beautiful to have our farm house smell of fresh boiled peaches instead of other smells :sick Thank you all for your advice. I am soooo happy :weee

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bimpnottin said:
That "ping" is one of the best sounds during canning season. The only better sound is the big sigh of relief you can give when you are done and can sit down for the day! :ya
Yes, and yes :weee :weee :ya :ya

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
WOOT!!! Congrats :)

I made ketchup and a cranberry glaze last night :D

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
WOOT!!! Congrats :)

I made ketchup and a cranberry glaze last night :D
Ketchup??? That sounds exciting! I don't remember too much after midnight. I just put the jars on a towel and stumbled into bed for my hsuband to clean up the mess in the morning. And he did :love Wify= messy kitchen