First chilly night

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This morning is the first chilly one. Hovering around 40 degrees F or maybe a little less. I noticed the silence when I took my wife's Rottweiler out to go pee. No crickets, no owls, no wind, not a sound... but our feet walking on dry leaves. I really hate to see summer and fall come to an end already :( but it is what it is and early next spring - it'll be gardening and babies being born once again :) I think we are pretty well prepared for winter again this winter - that's always a good thing.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow. We took the hogs to slaughter and have worked like mad the past 2 days on the one acre pasture they were in. DH did the tractor work, I did the raking. We got the moon craters filled in, smoothed out and 45 front end loader buckets of wood chip mulch dumped and spread. I raked every bit of it with a garden rake. Then I broadcast 50 pounds of non endophyte fescue, 50 pounds of rye grass, 5 pounds of chicory, 10 pounds of white Dutch clover and 10 pounds of white arrowleaf clover. This was the last pasture to do before winter sets in. We are ready now!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We're enjoying very mild temperatures (for this time of the year) and wondering when the cold is going to catch up with us here. I'm looking forward to spring, so I can work properly on the planned garden, add some birds to my small flock…

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We are finally starting to get some chilly nights, but temps are and have been warmer than typical for this time of year. Finally got some good rains and the colors are coming to peak around here, which is also very late.

The wood stove heat feels lovely and it's time once again to start making homemade bread more, so will make some today and will put on a big ol' pot of soup to go along with.

Also finally cold enough to butcher some chickens, so will do that on the morrow and keep at it until all that are ready for it have met the jar.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What I find hard in winter are those days that we refer to as "socked in". Meaning, when the cloud cover makes the daylight hours — which are already brief, because of how far north of the equator we are — dim.

Even though our colder days can be four or four-and-a-half months long, I find they're a lot easier to live through when the sun is shining on the snow. Makes it really bright when that outdoor light is coming in through the windows.

Last edited:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok, so I've caught up on some posts here and noticed there was quite a conversation going on based on miscommunication lol. Here:

Everyone noticed the -15F but not the -9C. It was 15 not -15 :)
Yeah, I screwed that up, didn't I ?! Well, I'm not used to expressing temperatures in Fahrenheit. I guess I made us seem hardier up here than we actually are. :p

Although a whole bunch of Canadians really are that hardy.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have had a couple 30 degree nights but mostly it's been above average temps... Finally starting to get down to normal here. I am not looking forward to winter, but I do enjoy the cool weather! The leaves are nearly gone now....it's just a matter of time!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's funny to me that our temps here in Alabama and @frustratedearthmother are lower than @CrealCritter ! I've had my heat on for about a week with a low temp over a week ago in the 30's. Normally I wouldn't have turned the heat on yet (I barely closed the windows) but we've got the grandkids for a few weeks right now and the littlest one's hands and feet get so cold. It's about 36° as I write this. I covered my tomatoes last night. I'm hoping to get them in a green house this week as the temp is expected to rise back into the 60's again tomorrow.