First chilly night

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We’re getting a little heatwave here.:sick

It’s been as high as 40*F outside today, and the forecast for overnight is only down to 28*F. Unexpected by virtue of the recent cold and the fact that it got chilly for a while back in September.

What’s happening for us is that we’ve got cloud cover in the region, so heat is held in to the ground and elevations close to it. But when that occurs this time of year, snow follows.We have a little on the ground from yesterday’s snowfall, though a lot of that melted today from the hot weather.;)

Wishing you all well.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do NOT ice fish....don't like fish...& ice is just too cold. I don't like snow either. Well, looks pretty day 1, then I'm just over it and want it gone. And I'm cold most of the time in low temps, so why would I like ice/snow :idunno Winter should not last more than 30days :old HOT summers not more than 30days, either....I vote to have more Spring & Fall! :clap

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
More spring and fall sounds good! Christmas without snow is just sad though, so we need some snow.

Snow showers here today- DD was beyond thrilled. Forecast says 7 tonight, -8 with wind chill. Mount Washington (highest peak in NH) had 105mph winds and -40 temps today. The forecast up there always entertains.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What I find hard in winter are those days that we refer to as "socked in". Meaning, when the cloud cover makes the daylight hours — which are already brief, because of how far north of the equator we are — dim.

Even though our colder days can be four or four-and-a-half months long, I find they're a lot easier to live through when the sun is shining on the snow. Makes it really bright when that outdoor light is coming in through the windows.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Seems like the angle of the sun in the winter causes it to shine more directly into our windows, which makes for a warm glow in the house when the sun shines in the winter here. I love that winter sun, especially in the afternoon, when it hits my bedroom and turns it into a sunny haven of rest for reading, working, etc.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We’re getting a little heatwave here.:sick

It’s been as high as 40*F outside today,
:th Heatwave?!? lol You guys have bitter cold winters! But then, I used to live in hotter than the gates of hell S.A. thinking 95*F was "cool"...

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:th Heatwave?!? lol You guys have bitter cold winters! But then, I used to live in hotter than the gates of hell S.A. thinking 95*F was "cool"...
Most of Canada has much harsher winters (colder, more snow, more winds) than we do where I'm located. Of course, it's true that even here in the months of, say, December through February, you could die sleeping outside overnight in the average sleeping bag.

We know how to dress for winter, how to have some fun in it, and how to keep our homes warm.

There's a city called Victoria on a large Island at the very west of Canada that rarely gets snow, and just has rainy winters like northern California. Some other places in that general geographic area of Canada are similar. Vancouver mostly has weather similar to that zone. Very expensive to buy rural property in a lot of that area, and I consider Victoria (let alone Vancouver!) to be much more populous than I like.

When Canada was settled by Europeans, a large part of the immigrants were from the Scottish Highlands, Sweden, Norway, northern Germany, Russia. Hardy folks used to cool-winter climes.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's very interesting, @Joel_BC I assumed Canada is freezing over the entire country. I can imagine the warmer spots are popular and expensive to buy property in! It must be like that coveted spot right in front of the heater.

South Africa is also curious with their temperature differences between regions, though we agree on winter temperatures mostly. Snow anywhere below the biggest mountains surprise us, so it's a novelty for me still. The coldest temperatures I recall there was around the mid 20's F and those were overnight and very early in the mornings now and then through winter. The price we paid for that was summer temperatures in the region I lived in hitting up to 130F some days.