fishing question

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
sheaviance1 said:
I'm still learning how to find crappie. We have installed a couple of crappie beds on the lake that we fish.
In my experience crappie prefer deep fairly quiet water with good cover nearby. The will bite on worm but seem to prefer an injured minnow. We hook our minnows directly under the dorsal fin and above the mid-line. This keeps the upright when swimming yet they stay alive a long time.

You need a small "light" bobber and lots of patience with crappie as well. They are a cautious fish. If they feel a lot of resistance like a large bobber has they will often leave the hook alone. They tend to "sample" and then slowly gently take the bait. That is one thing that makes them a challenge to catch. No big strike like a bass.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, considering we live in a city/suburban area, I really didn't expect to catch much anyway. We first went on the local marine base to a reservoir, but didn't have any luck, and on top of that my folding chair blew into the lake and we couldn't get it out!

Then one of my students (I teach middle school) said no, reservoirs are for wimps, and you don't catch much anyway. He told me to go to the Rappahannock River which runs through the city. My first thought was ew, who knows how polluted that is? But he is an avid fisherman and we agreed to meet there. Amazing place! Beautiful, sandy beaches, lots of nibbles, pretty unspoiled...I had no idea such a great place existed this close to the city!

According to my little friend, there are catfish, herring, garfish (?) and trout in the river. I picture herring as like sardines, little tiny things, but he assured me that no, they can be a foot long or more.

So I think maybe this weekend I will take my son and go early, before the sunbathers show up with their big dogs and all the little kids picnicking, and we'll take hot dogs (great idea, thanks!) and a net to catch the minnows that I saw, to see if we can use them for bait, and we'll see what happens!

Thanks for all the great ideas. I thought I would be bored with fishing, but it's really a lot of fun!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Do a little research. Try your cities Parks and Recreation Department for starters. It is amazing how many places there are to fish in an urban area. We live in the city too and there are several REALLY good fishing spots near me.

My husband was an adult convert to fishing. At first he just did it because I always have, but now he will go fishing on his own when given the chance. Plus the fish are great on the table!!

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried the local parks and rec for our county, and it was pretty pathetic. Didn't dawn on me to try the city itself, or even the next county down from us! Duh...I want to go again this week, all prepared this time. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:smack What a line y'all are feeding us. When are you going to try and reel us in?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I think we're stirring up all the bottom feeders.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Now Deb, you KNOW that is just a big load of carp. ;)

I am just recommending that people get off of their big bass and throw in a line this summer. :D