FJ's New Construction Checklist

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pellet stoves require electricity- something to keep in mind. However we bought a special screen/holder for our wood stove that burns pellets (company name is Pelleteer). We've found that using them during the day, with one large piece of wood added at night for all-night embers, seems to give us the best of both worlds.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Herb garden right outside the kitchen door, if possible, like the early settlers did.

And if you do put in a wood stove for heat, don't go with the smallest rated for your size of house; if the stove is forced to go at full bore all the time, it will wear out faster (yes, they CAN wear out)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I could build these...

Screenshot_20200321-155733_Facebook.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
have you ever done anything with passive heat and air exchangers? like a whole wall's worth (perhaps several intakes/outakes/vents)?
no. thats out of most peoples price range here i think. heck we only have a couple geothermals in the county. the fancy homes are spray foamed with an inverter hvac system here. at some point cost of investment vs rate of return comes into play i guess.

my own personal opinion: its hard to beat the comfort of an old dearborn heater. lol

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Reviving....probably won't do new construction, going to use this to bounce options around.
More to come.

Initial criteria: master bedroom and laundry room on same floor. Gas stove.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
1. Geothermal heating/cooling
2. Handicap accessible, or at least allowances made for future accessibility without large expense
3. Fireplace...traditional or pellet stove insert?
4. Flooring...wife likes the idea of heated ceramic tiles with a faux wood look.
5. Adding to base plan.....a canning kitchen as an addition.
6. Adding to base plan....basement
7. Mod to base plan, redoing pantry/mud room layout.
8. Solar
9. Built in hook up for stand alone generator
10. Some sort of reinforced room in the basement for storm refuge

1. I don't know enough about Geothermal to venture a worthy opinion re: cost/benefit ratios. I would definitely utilize passive solar, including heat sinks, N/S orientation, appropriate roof overhangs to provide summer cooling and winter solar gain. I would add some solar panels on S side ducted into house for heat. I would also add solar for hot water, perhaps tied in with a heat system: wood stove or ? inside rocket stove if there is even such a thing.

2. Handicap accessible. YES! Don't plan to add any HA features later. Cheaper to do it ALL at time of build. Include: w/c accessibility to all rooms, including bathroom. W/C accessible shower and toilet. Ramp that meets ADA standards (1"/ft. rise). Keep in mind that it takes an area at least 5' x 5' to turn a w/c around. Make at least part of the kitchen w/c accessible for the cook! HA will greatly increase your resale value.

3. Fireplaces tend to be not very economical in BTU production.

5. Canning kitchen... one can always dream!!! At least a double sink. And a pantry for food storage, and equipment storage.

9. Generator, directly hooked into electrical. My MIL has a LP model that is set up to come on automatically when power goes out. This is the only way she can comfortably live at home, alone, @ 88 y.o.

A. Laundry on ground level, near bedrooms. Clothesline easy access if you like to hang clothes out. I want to put up a rotary clothes line.

B. Yard set up for easy access to electric and plumbing for animal care. Easy access for plumbing to garden. garden close enough to house to be able to run out for quick harvest during meal prep.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nor... should you get one that is oversized for your home. Our first wood stove was a Papa Bear Fisher. Awesome stove, took a 2' log, but that thing would cook us out! We down sized to a small Jotul, and it does great heating our 1000 s.f. living area.