FJ's New Construction Checklist

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Here are some things I would want and/or dream about:

Here are some other things I would think about:

1. Have you considered water? Do you want to be cut off from the "city water"? Can you access well water or develop a spring? Could you use a cistern to harvest rain water? A safe water supply for a homestead is a necessity, and is key for being off the grid.

2. Will the layout, and location allow for privacy? The key question is "can I pee off the back porch?" That's the privacy I would want. In the same thought process, I think it would be great to have an outdoor shower too. Especially, in the summer when it is hot and you're dirty and sweaty from working outside.

3. I see your plan also has cathedral ceilings. My house does as well. It's a cabin. One problem I have is condensation on the ceiling, and mold. So, I don't have good ventilation and its a pain to get to clean. If you're anticipating mobility issues that might be a consideration. Also, you lose a lot of heat with these type of ceilings.

4. Does the layout and location allow for protection? Do you have good access to evacuate if you had a fire, or an intruder? Is it easily defendable?

This is probably more than you wanted, but these are things I am thinking about as I look to move soon.
1. Well water most likely
2. Privacy will depend on the parcel
3. We were considering reversible ceiling fans
4. Will depend on the parcel

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Here are some things I would want and/or dream about:

1. A butcher block counter for processing meat.
2. A wood kitchen range in addition to "normal" cook stove.
3. Utility sink for washing hard to handle items. For example, my 930 All American pressure canner.
4. Accessibility for laundry room. Currently, my washer is under the steps and its a hassle to bring stuff up from the dryer and even bigger hassle for stuff that is line dried.
5. Sky lights might be something to look at if possible. That would definitely help on electricity usage for common areas.
6. I know this isn't big technology, BUT storm doors would be a must. I have screen doors right now and t
1. Probably a stand alone block that can be moved
2. Have to think on this one
3. Deep sink, yes, in the kitchen. Deep deep sink for canning kitchen
4. Accessible laundry appliances...definitely
5. Skylights are a possibility, but we worry about leakage
6. Yes on the storm doors.

Good list

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Folks, please keep the ideas coming! My son has started weighing in too. Lololol

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
as an hvac tech I can tell you geos are pretty awesome. I would probably do a waste water set up if you have a well because they are cheap. or use a pond. my last choice would be buried glycol lines. heat reclaim water heaters can be tied in the geo system as well

I would personally scrap the radiant floor idea. not cost effective unless you are up to the task of diy. stained concrete floors are very cost effective and look nice.

I'd go with a natural draft wood burning fireplace or stove. something that will work without electricity.

I would also look for a real good septic guy and have a traditional septic system installed rather than aerobic. again, electricity.
a separate grey water system would be useful because all that water can be reused to water gardens and things.

stay away from sprayfoam insulation unless you just like having constant humidity/hvac issues.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
an l.p. generator and transfer switch is very doable. any electrician worth his salt can slam in an automatic transfer switch and it wouldn't cost much for a plumber to pipe in the propane.

solar...idk. solar panels are probably the absolute least cost effective means of generating electricity. the panels production and later disposal aren't very good for the environment either. but a mix of solar and wind turbine with a back up genset would make you pretty much independent

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pellet stoves require electricity- something to keep in mind.
Our pellet stove will run off a deep cell battery - it is a wiring harness that attaches to the stove. Just open the side panel, pull out the wires and hook up the battery. Of course, you have to have a charged deep cell battery for that to work. We have 3 of them babies - they are for the boat and just sit in the basement all winter on a trickle charger.

We decided to go with a pellet stove over a wood stove because we are getting older and we used to heat our house with wood when we were in Wyoming. Didn't want to set ourselves up for cutting, splitting, stacking, hauling 8 cord of wood per year for the rest of our lives. Now we go to the store, buy 2 tons of pellets, they load them on our trailer. We drive home, use the pallet forks on the tractor to unload the pellets and place in the machine shed. Haul 6 bags on the ATV to the front porch as needed. Last winter, we loaded a pallet of pellets on our front porch for the winter - it worked great! we have 6 bags left, :( Time to go buy more.

I can dump a 40 lb bag of pellets in the stove every day and be good to go without having to chuck wood into the wood stove every couple of hours. Hated getting up at 1 am to stoke the fire.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The last rabbit hole my wife has gone down (adult ADD/ADHD) is barndominiums. There is an outfit in Texas that builds essentially steel frame homes.

Talk about options for an open floor plan...she has my head swirling in mental chaos

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The last rabbit hole my wife has gone down (adult ADD/ADHD) is barndominiums. There is an outfit in Texas that builds essentially steel frame homes.

Talk about options for an open floor plan...she has my head swirling in mental chaos

There's a good number of steel homeshere in southern IL. I call the pole barn homes.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The county just north of us is having their soil and water conservatory district tree sale. lots of nut trees and ELDERBERRY starts. Oh the frustration of not having our own place

Latest posts