FJ's New Construction Checklist

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The wife and I were just discussing this!!!!!! She mentioned the same thing about drawing moisture. I thought with new construction, if you use a barrier, that mitigated the issue.
that's incorrect

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
have you ever done anything with passive heat and air exchangers? like a whole wall's worth (perhaps several intakes/outakes/vents)?
no. thats out of most peoples price range here i think. heck we only have a couple geothermals in the county. the fancy homes are spray foamed with an inverter hvac system here. at some point cost of investment vs rate of return comes into play i guess.

my own personal opinion: its hard to beat the comfort of an old dearborn heater. lol

Simpleterrier

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So spray foam doesn't breathe. There is closed cell and open cell foam. I haven't noticed much difference in the two they both mold. A house has to breathe the tighter you make it the more u need to control fresh air in by an erv or hrv. With out ventilation u can also get sick house syndrome where bacteria can grow in your house and make u sicker.

I would highly not recommend a geo to anyone . A geo is a water to air heat pump. An air to air HP is way more efficient and the initial cost up front can be close to half. Also a geos life expectancy is less than manufacturing claims. Most geos get filled with local untested water and actually needs to be filled by filtered and pure water or the heat exchanger will die.

We're I live fresh air into the house in a controlled way is becoming code. Not an erv yet just a pipe ran directly into the ra of an HVAC system with a manual damper

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So spray foam doesn't breathe. There is closed cell and open cell foam. I haven't noticed much difference in the two they both mold. A house has to breathe the tighter you make it the more u need to control fresh air in by an erv or hrv. With out ventilation u can also get sick house syndrome where bacteria can grow in your house and make u sicker.

I would highly not recommend a geo to anyone . A geo is a water to air heat pump. An air to air HP is way more efficient and the initial cost up front can be close to half. Also a geos life expectancy is less than manufacturing claims. Most geos get filled with local untested water and actually needs to be filled by filtered and pure water or the heat exchanger will die.

We're I live fresh air into the house in a controlled way is becoming code. Not an erv yet just a pipe ran directly into the ra of an HVAC system with a manual damper
why not get the honeywell damper? its programmmable and works really well.

Simpleterrier

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes u can and it does. But comes down to price. And if not a super tight house most people shut or block the fresh air intake. I have two kids my house gets plenty of fresh air all year long so for me a pipe and damper is pointless but if u work from home or are old and don't leave or even open windows then that is when it.is needed. we open our windows some people I know that would be a sin