Flowering Vine ID Help

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have this flowing vine growing on the fence line, it has long bean like pods that grow in place of the flower when the flower falls off. I want to say it's a Virginia Creeper, but I'm not all that certain. We had Virginia Creepers in North Carolina but I don't recall long bean like pods like this one has. Its pretty beat up by bugs eating at it and humming birds hopefully it's still identifiable.

Any ideas what you this is?
IMG_20190826_135526573.jpg

IMG_20190826_135522175.jpg

Its quite pretty to look at. I'm thinking I might want to plant the seeds around the property but I would like a good ID so I know what it is first.

Thanks

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Honeysuckle seems to be iffy on it's invasiveness here. I bought one this year because I like them, but it lives in a pot. I could make a raised bed for it. It won't do well in our soil. It gets to soggy to to many months of the year.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have wisteria, honeysuckle and trumpet vine around here. The trumpet vine is the worst - absolutely horrible. The others can be kept in check - even though I've seen some beautiful wisteria that went a little crazy when some folks moved out and it had a couple years of unsupervised growth. But it was reined back in and is behaving itself fairly well now.