Food dehydrator?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have a Nesco American Harvest dehydrator.

I have worked that machine HARD for the last 10+ years.

When it finally breathes its last - probably many more years from now - I will buy another Nesco American Harvest dehydrator to take its place with out a doubt!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I dry herbs, veggies, make jerky and dry sliced potatoes from those damaged during digging.

Dehydrate onions, celery, mushrooms.

I make fruit roll-ups

I make my own raisins, dried fruits, blueberries, strawberries.

I work it HARD!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Dehydrating is fun- I find canning exhausting, hot work although I do admit seeing a nice cupboard full of bright, shiny mason jars is very satisfying. One of the nice things about drying food is that it can be done whenever you have anyything to dry- small batches, large batches.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
true ETR
drying is less work....I think...LOL
canning is a rough job I think but like you, when done it is well worth it.

I am going to definitely look more into dehydrating. Put it on, walk away, regular pantry storage. Reconstitue when needed....seems simple but I am sure I need to learn ALOT!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
A seldom heard tip for the dehydrator: Pasteurize your fruit after drying.

To do this place your finished dry fruit in an set to 160 for about 5 minutes.

After this time simply package to store as usual. The Pasteurizing process will kill any insect eggs left on the fruit and any mold spores the dehydrator missed. I use this on apples, pears and other fruit that I dry an it significantly increases the storage time and quality!

You could probably Pasteurize other foods as well, but fruit is usually the only thing I ever have any storage problems with. I think it is due to the extra moisture content in the finished product.

silkiechick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
mine is a 7 tier ronco, i did a trade for it and a microwave chip maker and sent homemade jar candles and seeds for it the chipmaker was included for the kid's for fun. i couldn't tell u what it cost new but works awesome and love it!! $100 should get u a real nice one to use!! i can't imagine not haveing one now, very well worth investment.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Farmfresh, on the pasteurization - I have a question. Did you leave something out or am I missing something? My directions only said to place dehydrated food in the freezer for at least 3 days to kill anything left over. Never really thought beyond that and have never really had a problem except one time when I got in a hurry and did not let some zukes dry proplerly. Plus things get used pretty quick around here. I don't think the freezer would kill mold spores though so would really be interested in a few more details.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I wonder about the pasturization too- I bet that the missing word from Farmfresh is dehydrator or ovem but I wonder if that will kill mold spores either.

Farmfresh can you provide some more info? Was it to set the dehydrator for 160 for 5 minutes?

I wonder if mircowaving would do it?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Sorry about the typing omission.

I pasteurize in the oven.

It seems to really help. Before I did this I would occasionally have apples from our organic trees get buggy while sealed in their bags after dehydration. I am sure that there were tiny eggs laid in the fruit that were invisible to the naked eye that would hatch. That never happens now that I pasteurize.

I just place the dehydrated fruit on a clean cookie sheet and heat for the 5 minutes or so then package as usual.

Yes, a freezer will kill the insect eggs. That is what I always used to do with my cockatiel's feed to kill any weevils or moth larva.

I have no experience using a microwave, but a cockroach can live merrily inside of one on high level. I have tried that.