Food forest.....

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't plan on selling, unless there is some big life change and even then, I can and could manage this place on my own. I would only be planting what I would eat and use, the struggle I have is where to put it. Our 3 acres has tree lines surrounding it, but then there are sporadic buildings and trees throughout, I would have to be really intentional about where I place stuff and watch the sun/shade (I have a good idea on most areas but not all). Maybe someday I can add a goat, sheep or two but that would be at least a 5–10-year plan so that isn't an option right now (and maybe it won't ever work into my plan). and then there is always the other 8 acres we owe of wooded land a few miles north, that is another work in progress.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have done a lot of gleaning from others over the years and based on the area I live, considering the weather and ya know, all of that,,,
I do what works best for here. I plant what grows best here, I plant nutrient dense foods. What has the highest value for our health. Everything else is good yes, but extra, I plant the necessity's FIRST and other stuff if it fits in the garden.
What can I plant that will reseed its self, not need a green house, over winter planting fava beans, wheat grass etc... will feed the ground.
I like to plant extra kale so I have some for the chickens,
I watched a lot of Charles Dowding videos last February
to have soil and not just dirt, composting is a requirement --- I LOVE how Downing explains it all- so I recommend watching all of his videos on it-

I did lay down carboard in some of my herb gardens and built up on top of that. https://www.youtube.com/@CharlesDowding1nodig/playlists

I do glean stuff from David - https://www.youtube.com/@davidthegood

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am interested, but I get overwhelmed by permaculture concepts. I'm not convinced they are a great solution, but they still appeal to me. A garden that doesn't look like a garden is less likely to be raided/vandalized, IMO

there's a lot of things in a full course, it takes more than a few hours, but still the concepts are worth learning about.

it's much more than picking just one technique and trying to apply it and finding it doesn't work... i don't consider hugels as introductory and they're not suited for some sites nor do i consider them a requirement. same for swales, ponds, dams, etc. all need some thought and understanding plus there may be local or regional laws involved.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I tried to plant some squash here and there. Store bought since we moved here in the summer. Nothing grew much of anything. I planted the same store bought plants in the garden that was already here. Harvested 5 acorns and 7 butternuts.

Plus we have deer. and anything outside of the fence was fair eating (like the tomatoes in some of my Japanese maple trees that I brought with me). Grrrrrrrr

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
On your 3 acres, permanent plantings plus a vegetable garden and some chickens would give you more than you could eat. I think you are on the right track.
Thanks! We have the garden (or maybe gardens, lol) and the chickens. We also have lilac, cherry trees, crab apple non-ornamental and apple trees, just looking for more.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wish concords would fruit here. We don't have enough heat days. I don't remember what the two I bought were, but the 3 concords from my great aunt just produce lots of leaves for shade and chicken snacks.

The ones I bought were early fruiters and I do sometimes get grapes from them.

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have done a lot of gleaning from others over the years and based on the area I live, considering the weather and ya know, all of that,,,
I do what works best for here. I plant what grows best here, I plant nutrient dense foods. What has the highest value for our health. Everything else is good yes, but extra, I plant the necessity's FIRST and other stuff if it fits in the garden.
What can I plant that will reseed its self, not need a green house, over winter planting fava beans, wheat grass etc... will feed the ground.
I like to plant extra kale so I have some for the chickens,
I watched a lot of Charles Dowding videos last February
to have soil and not just dirt, composting is a requirement --- I LOVE how Downing explains it all- so I recommend watching all of his videos on it-

I did lay down carboard in some of my herb gardens and built up on top of that. https://www.youtube.com/@CharlesDowding1nodig/playlists

I do glean stuff from David - https://www.youtube.com/@davidthegood
Hey, I also followed him for years, and he is really an experienced farmer. I learned a lot from him, including breaking many gardening myths.

Latest posts