Food Prices Going Up

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen the latest news. Food prices are going up by at least 7 percent for 2009. Or that is what is being predicted.
Scary thought. Unemployment is at one of its highest points, people living on the streets and now this.
Looks like 2009 will not be any better financially for people than 2008.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. I don't think it will just be food prices either.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And it aint near over if you believe certain people. If you really want to hear something scary go to youtube and on their search bar type Alex Jones lindsey williams. Alex Jones is known to be a rebel when it comes to giving out real news and Lindsey williams was an oil insider. If you believe what they say it will sacre the crap out of you if you dont believe it would be a really good tom clancey type book. it is a radio broadcast called the coming crash from June or july of 2008

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have noticed our groceries have seemed lower...Not sure but I just went to the store yesterday and for an example cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup were .60 a can. I bought the kids a pudding treat and the price was .11 cents lower than the last time. Not sure if those were just a fluke or what.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I don't know what "food prices going up 7%" is actually likely to MEAN. I mean, there is food and then there is food, plus it depends so much where you buy it. It's not like there will be an across-the-board X percent increase...

On the whole most people spend an awfully "luxurious" amount on food these days (processed food, convenience food, treats like ice cream and chocolate, out of season stuff, eating out, etc), so, I dunno.

Pat

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Based on what I just read its pretty much across the board.

Of course it could be another NEWS doom and gloom article but it reads pretty legit to me. Actually if this is what the news media is telling me I am afraid it might actually be worse than predicted.

Here is a link to the article.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20081106/NEWS-US-USA-FOOD-PRICES/

Not that any increase surprises me. It just feels like it is one thing after another. Can't seem to recover and catch my breath from the high gas prices and now this.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have also noticed that they are changing the packaging to slightly smaller quantities, and charging the same prices for them. Pasta and dishsoap have less quantity now.
I read alot of alternative news and some of it is indeed scary..but they have been saying scary stuff for years, not alot of it has come to pass, but some does. steve quayle is very interesting and he imports news from all kinds of sources. Interesting, but scary.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
I have also noticed that they are changing the packaging to slightly smaller quantities, and charging the same prices for them. Pasta and dishsoap have less quantity now.
Well yeah but that has ALWAYS been happening. Heck, Stephen Jay Gould wrote a classic and extremely amusing article (in Natural History, I want to say?) projecting how in like 2048 a Hershey's bar would cost thirty dollars and be of zero size :)

I just don't see how this is anything but business as usual.

(e.t.a. - I was unable to view the link to that article, it doesn't approve of my browser :p, but I do not think it is possible for everything to increase the same %. That is certainly not what usually happens when food prices change, anyhow. Some types of things go up more, others less, some even not at all.)

(e.t.also.a. - at least gas prices have come back down for the time being! It was 85 cents a litre here the past few days, has not been that low for several years at least)

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
times are going to get worse not better. this isn't over yet. the balance is not restored.

many still to lose jobs, many companies to close their plants, many homeowners still to lose their homes, ---nope, haven't seen the last of this yet. Many are still going to suffer.

best we can do, is the best we can do.....be frugal, be smart, be SS and take care of others that truly need help if you can give it......ride it out! and with a smile if we can! :)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Sorry you could not get that link.

Article basically says. Due to cost of feed for chickens, hogs, and cattle we can see a minimum of 7% increase.
Goes on to state: this will be the 3rd year in a row that food prices have risen faster than the overall inflation rate.
The National Chicken Council and the consultancy Farm Econ predict 7 to 8 percent.
This confrence was arranged by major foodmakers. Corn, grain prices are suppose to be double 2005 prices.
Major chicken producers intend to cut production by 12%. So do other meat producers, apparently to help offset feed cost.
It goes on and on about the rest of the cost associated with grain cost, resturant prices, other foods manufactured with grain, etc.
Report by Charles Abbott - Reuters

These are predictions only. I am just sick of smaller packages, higher cost, etc. Guess I am just venting here.