Food Prices Going Up

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hmm...I thought checking out the food on the table was more interesting than the prices..LOL
Yup, me too , lol ! Like the mexican family with 12 2 liters of coke, omg 12 of em ! :ep

These pictures are from book that was based on like 30 families total and up above the pictures is a link to the book . I originally saw an excerpt of this first in a magazine article and it gave each families income and stuff as well. I think the costs were all converted to US dollar value for us If i remember right.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Sweetcorn- that was very intersting. There is something peculiar about the California family- two small children and almost no milk? Lots of stuff in packages too.
The German presentation was so methodical too- but was that really a lot of alcohol?
Some places have subsidized food I think- I read a story about riots in Cairo because the government was thinking about ending the free bread that is issued daily to all citizens.
I would love to be in the Italian family- piles of bread and their all so skinny??????

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I lived in Germany for three years and the alcohol content on the table is correct :) I did not feel their prices were that high on food though, when we lived there the euro was equivalent to about 1.30 us dollars. We always shopped on the economy and the fresh markets very reasonably. I loved to shop for spices there, they were so CHEAP. Saffron was around 3.00
And of course they pick a family in the US who eats all that crap, we do not buy a lot of convenience foods only an occasional treat, that really adds up.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would like to see a US family that eats healthy!
I hope that's not typical of most families.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
I would like to see a US family that eats healthy!
I hope that's not typical of most families.
Unfortunately I'm afraid it is.

I always check out the carriages of fellow shoppers. People with small children, especially have incredible amounts of processed foods in their carriages. I find it amazing that they pay so much for so little in the way of good nutrition, but according to what they're told, that's what they should eat, it says so on the commercials :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would love to be in the Italian family- piles of bread and their all so skinny??????

*****I saw this too! And was envious. If I ate part of that meal I would gain weight..LOL

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree with reinbeau , watch people's carts the next time you shop. Some of them will make your jaw drop. I'm always cart peeking. I get tickled checking out behind them, too , knowing I got a lot more actual FOOD for half of what they paid for all that junk and we are still eating better . I think we, who cook mainly from scratch , are the minority these days. It tastes better and it's a huge budget saver.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I confess. Cart watcher here also...LOL

I love checking out what people are buying.

Especially shake myh head when I see expensive laundry detergents and fancy expensive fabric softeners..LOL

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Now you have made me a cart watcher. I will have to start paying more attention. I wonder what people think of my cart.
ummmm....Maybe we need a What Was In Your Grocery Cart thread started.