Food Prices Going Up

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have become such a predictable buyer in the food store. I try to go no more than once a week and like only going every two weeks.
I buy the same things pretty much each time.I go to the same two stores- no one around here has coupons except Safeway and that's a store with poor produce and meats and the coupons are always for ice cream or frozen dinners- things I try NOT to buy.

When I worked full time, it was a lot harden to cook anything from scratch so I can see that a woman who has children and a job might find it so easy to give into temptation to buy something easy to make.

Instead of Martha Stewart, I sure wish that PBS would run a series on fast, good food that a family would really eat. The trouble is that the only ones I've ever seen are hosted by terribly skinny people cooking food that I would never want to eat. I suppose if you don't find food of really interest and enjoyment, you would cook like these people and be skinny too. They seem to specialize in steaming blandness only- yuck.

Once you get into the habit of thinking from scratch and you have a repetroir of fast meals, you'd be pretty much OK. That would be a great magazine, a shopping list and various menus and recipes for each day of the month. Take the thinking out of it.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get bored at work a lot and read magazines, my favorite one is "Taste of Home" they had this little booklet/magazine about freeze ahead meals and I've started kind of trying that with my limited space.

I find its a good idea in theory though, buy stuff on sale, make a few premade meals out of them, and use them when you are to tired to cook. I think this would solve a lot of the "convience temptations" working moms face.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I used to get Taste of Home too. I loved it, but I have sooooo many yrs of them that I gave up my subscription about 2 yrs ago & I was too vusy to read any magazines then too. I just got done putting them into 3 ring binders last week so I can sort thru them better now & really get busy trying out all the recipes that sounded good. I plan on writting them out on my computer & making my own cook book & then get rid of all the magazines so I have more space. I will only keep my "old" cookbooks & the ones I use a lot of recipes out of. The ones I only get a few out of will be gone. I also got the sister publication that was clled Quick Cooking, I believe it was changed to Simple & Delicious. Most of those recipes are made with convience items but I found I could subsitute a few thigns from scratch for them instead. Like real whipped cream instead of cool whip works well(& I am sure it tastes better too).

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I love the topic of cart watching :) I'm a total cart watcher and food snob. Now, I even find myself doing it when I occasionally have lunch with my kids at school or on a fieldtrip. When people talk about getting hot lunch because it's cheaper, it's because they buy incredible amounts of processed food for their kids' lunches! I can probably make my kids a great lunch this time of year for about 25-50 cents (carrots from garden, apples from friends, wholesale whole-grain bread, etc.). But all that processed stuff-yikes!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I confess I go beyond the grocery store also.

NC is famous for their "all you can eat" buffets. OH MY GOSH the amt. of food people pile onto their plates is UNREAL! And we wonder about obesity.....geez, uh, put down the fork ok....wait, not just the fork, put down the bbq rib from your hand..HA HA

I watch what food people eat all the time. Since being on my healthier lifestyle I can't help but judge their plates...why eat that, that will kill ya, blah, blah.......never did it before, now I do. One obsession after another, this is just one I have to get rid of now too..HA HA