Food prices June 2021

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sharp knives & saw needed.
Sawzall is your friend!!

I'd go back & get gutted, scraped hog; hanging in cold room.
That's really a great deal. I didn't realize you were getting them scraped. We just skin 'em. I would love to have a scraped one - but no way I'm going to deal with that myself, lol!

I can have one skinned, gutted and sectioned out in about an hour. It's the cutting and wrapping that takes so long! I store my hogs in an ice chest for several days after cutting so I can take a little time cutting it up.

It's doable - even for a woman with a few years under my belt, lol!

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You must have gone to WINCO. I saw broc there yesterday for the same price. at safeway and Freddy's (Kroger) it was $1.78/lb.

WA state mandated that chicken eggs come from cage free chickens, starting Jan 1. So the price skyrocketed. I raised my price for eggs from $3.50 to $4. I only have one customer and he didn't even blink.

Yup was at Winco. Might be going by the Costco Business Center today to look at prices. Probably get a primal to cut up and maybe a 10 pound ground beef chub to divide for the freezer.

Frozen veggies are cheaper at Winco per pound. Have to get the frozen peas and lima beans at Walmart because the Great Value brand are the only ones without added salt.

Found that I need to buy the chicken breast that hubby likes at Costco because they have air chilled. It's more expensive but doesn't have the salt solution soaked in. Less sodium in the meat means I can season everything easier for dinner.

H-mart and Pal-do World have best prices for the veggies and fruit they carry and of course rice. They actually are the only stores who usually tell you the country of origin

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Absolutely, labor factors into the end price. I buy hubs pistachios (I don't eat them) due to their nutritional value for his brain. Yes, they are a treat too.

I open up a package from Costco, then divide them into three bags. Two of the bags get vac sealed for future fresh use.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
While working a reset yesterday, I was once again 😡 looking at pricing. We remove those little stickers from pegs of hanging products. Some had 4-5 stickers from continual up pricing. So in 6-8 months these products had risen over $1 per bag. Bags of jerky. Yep $7.25 to $8.75...5 oz. 20% in 8 mo.

Can you say "dehydrator" ?? If you eat that jerky.

And beef prices --- oh, my!!

Make up 😱 even worse! I stopped that long ago.

Grocery stores???? Well, I'm getting garden tilled!
Goats milked and a couple young boys fattened for freezer camp. My broody hen -- bless her! -- will raise up winter soup boys & young layers to winter flock ! She's half done ☺️

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Agree with all you said but, even with all of that ... Their reports show huge profit increases. Key word "increases". Take a little less, like consumers do. It's not going to stop either.

Don't sell your good breeding age cows! 🤣

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't have any meat chickens, but our extra roosters and the old hens get butchered and canned. I LOVE the stock from old chickens- so much more flavorful than from the young tender ones. If our broody hen manages to hatch out her chicks, I'll probably butcher the cockerels and (maybe) some of the young hens as we'll have too many for the coop and I don't want any fighting. I would love to raise at least one weiner a year, but we don't have room- I don't want to be waking up to the smell of pigs wafting through the open window, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Didn’t you sell the factory?
I did! I'd have to start over. I swear it's not in the plan at the moment, but I catch myself watching Craigslist all the time, lol. It won't happen until I do some reconfiguring of pens around here. Or, I could let 'em have run of the pasture and pond, hmmmmm. :gig

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With weather issues...CA & FL providing much of the stores fruit & veg... There may be some up pricing &/or lower quantity seen this year. At some point, filtering into canned/frozen supply in snowball effect. Just a thought for consideration of buyers.

Like meat & eggs, some immediate effects & then recovery time, slows supplies. Getting 12-15 eggs a day here 😳 & I'll grow veggies I want. Some don't have that option.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some prices at Costco Business Center. All is primals. Ground beef is 10 pound chubs.

Boneless pork shoulder butt $1.69
Boneless pork cushion $1.59
Bone in pork shoulder butt neck on $1.49
Pork back ribs $2.59
Pork spare ribs $1.89
Pork St Louis ribs $2.49
Pork loin strap on $2.09
Pork belly $3.19

Beef round 1/4 trim select grade $3.39
Beef shoulder clod select grade $3.79
Beef special trim select grade $3.99
Beef eye of round select $3.99