Food prices June 2021

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Me neither. Never been in one.

same here, but we do have a Sam's Club membership that gets used once or twice a month. with all the baking Mom does it is worth it for us.

it is about 30 miles from us but near the favorite Chinese food place we will visit if we go that ways so it works out ok to combine the trip and we also usually add in other other stops at the more general stores and a few other places that day so we get all our errands done in one shot.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
people seem to think that every time the economic cycle goes up it hasn't ever happened before and eventually it tops out and goes down again and then they think it will never get better again, rinse-repeat...

if you budget, save, invest, plus smart shopping and being selective and avoiding the obvious gouging you can get by without having to panic or even break a sweat.

note that our education system has been set up to mostly not teach thing things that help people avoid spending too much. it's not encouraged to be thrifty or frugal, garden, barter, etc. so what does that all tell ya?

oh, and i can't get Mom to reduce her waste at all in many ways. we spend probably 10%-20% per year or more than we really need to. :( i try to encourage her to not waste so much then she's going to complain about not having enough to spend on things she really needs and i have to bite my tongue and try to get her to work with what she has. sadly this has been consistent for a long time and she won't change unless she's forced to and within a month or two she will be forced to so that will be an interesting time. of course i do contribute and make sure things are safe and comfortable here no matter what, but i want to see at least a little effort once in a while to not waste... in the meantime i can grumble here... :)

for the record, no matter what, she'll never be hungry or not have a place to live that is warm in the winter and cool enough in the summer. she will always have that from me without any grumbles at all.

Last edited:

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The Calif min wage for FAST Food restaurants is now $20 an hour, for those brands that have 60 or more nationwide locations. It started last week. Wonder why nobody can afford fast food anymore?

Also the mandatory overall min wage for Calif went up to $16 an hour for any other workers.

I worked at the Sears Candy Counter in the early 70s for $1.35 an hour. Then in the mid 70's I got a part time job as a microbiologist at Marriotts Great America for a whopping stupendous $3.50 an hour!!!!! I was RICH!! hahahahaha

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My son just bought a brand new XLT Ford dually, just above base model, for $93,000.

😳😳 Obscene!!! My mtg is way less. Couldn't buy one.

Many of the food corporations are having record profits right now. Because they raised prices because they could and tried to pass it off as inflation.

This -- accurate beyond reasonable doubt!! 😡😡😡 Between prices up and quantity down, yeah we're all getting screwed and not even a 💋 kiss! But the top line corp people are all getting huge bonuses. I hope they choke on some of the crap they're selling.

But I don't buy much of it -- so there's that. 👍 I'll continue to grow most of my food. They can keep their chemicals & high sugars, etc. 🤷. Just me being me.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got some outdate/close date meats from a store last week. 18# of armour bacon, 29 PKG Oscar meyer bun length hot dogs, close date -- in my freezer. Plus almost 30# of out of date meats/ hot dogs -- cats LOVE me!! Oh, cheese -- 14.5# sliced, various type, close dated & 4 pkgs philly crm ch. Cheese -- really? That stuff keeps waaay past date BUT stores cannot keep it.

Free is great. 🤣 Sometimes I get fresh produce being tossed for dates & crackers, etc. Chickens & goats adore it.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had to keep a price of foods at different stores so I know where to buy what. We're now buying mostly just pasta, beans, grains, veggies, and unprocessed meat.

The business center is actually higher for frozen veggies per pound than Winco. Meat price and quality is better at business center.

Depending on the produce, Hmart is best. They don't carry some things.

Canned veggies are off the menu now that we need to limit sodium for hubby. Only ones I get are the no salt tomato sauce. $1 a can right now so I should go buy a bunch.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the pork loin we bought several weeks ago was $1.89/lb - it had a lot of water added to it. :( but it sure was good when we cooked it up and then turned it into pulled pork BBQ. we also snacked on it a bit as it was fresh cooked (with garlic and onions). i had to add some hot sauce to give it more zing.

butter prices here have not been too bad in the recent months and we stocked up because we knew there would be some extra baking in the next few weeks.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I keep looking at piglets :idunno hate the thought of them again and I have the space, sheds, fence; just another to feed & care for. BUT was some of best pork ever!!! And lard. Yeah, I keep looking, thinking...I'll cave eventually!:lol:. My butcher closed shop, so that's a slow down for me. Need to find another processor.