Food Shortage

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
The All American canner has no seal and the lid locks/screws down. It is very safe to operate as far as canners go. I personally would not take the risk with meat, soups for my family without using a pressure canner, that's just me. Have you looked into that brand to use?
Too expensive.

Hence my fear of using this second hand one, passed down from mother in law.

The stories cement my fears, I'll skip it and stick to what I'm comfortable with. :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sunny said:
Mackay said:
Wildsky said:
I have a pressure canner given to me by my mother in law, I'm just scared to use it, scared it will blow up or something like that. :hu
ya, they look pretty intimidating!
There was a lady here in town where I live. She was very experienced at canning. Even did classes to teach people. One day she replaced a seal on it. Did a batch or two.. It blew up in her face. Burned her really bad. You dont even see her in town any more. I heard she hides in her house now. So after hearing that story, my DH will not let me get a pressure canner. Only a water bath one. My grandma used to only use a water bath for every thing from meat to fruit. We never got sick. You just have to be smart and make sure the seal was good before you use the food..
This is a very sad situation. But if you follow the directions and be sure the vent is clear on the canner the pressure should never get that high. I even have a cheapo Presto canner and it has a safety latch that does not disengage until pressure is very low.

g

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Happened to my mom too, it exploded on her, melting and scorching her clothing onto her. She still has some skin issues and is now prone to skin cancer on those areas. My brother was young so she was still nursing him, after that she had a hard time because it was far too painful. But that was about 20 years ago, hopefully pressure canners are better now. Either way, she's never pressure caned since.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Seems to me that if you water bath canned non-acid foods and then made sure you cooked them well before eating them, botulism wouldn't be a problem. :hu Cooking long enough and hot enough before eating should destroy the botulism toxin.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Fermenting
Salting
Smoking
Dehydrating
Freezing
Pickling
Sugaring
Root Cellering

Am I forgetting any other ways of preserving foods - other than pressure canning?
I WON'T be canning! I saw what happened to the kitchen ceiling at the farmhouse where I grew up. :hide

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Maybe the can-a-phobics need their own thread! :gig

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Maybe the can-a-phobics need their own thread! :gig
The bookkeeper where I used to work slipped on her wet kitchen floor and broke her neck. That is why I no longer wash my kitchen floor. Or take a shower. Or cross the street.

Just kidding! :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, Merle, no disrespect intended to you or your mom. I try not to live my life in fear, and that is truly a struggle for me. :hugs Joking about it helps me. I did not have anyone else in mind, just my own sudden fear of my canner after reading all this....