Food Shortage

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I see the prices getting higher and higher. Its hard to eat healthy if you dont plant your own. I can only plant a tiny bit, and in containers. I dont have a yard. But their is a vacant lot behind me that is for sale, they just put up the for sale signs. Im going to ask to see if I can plant a garden there next year.

There is more and more people. With less and less farms. Means less and less food. At higher and higher prices..

firem3

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
and another thing to worry about is that uneducated people may go out and buy GMO seeds, or hybrid seeds not knowing any better.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
firem3 said:
and another thing to worry about is that uneducated people may go out and buy GMO seeds, or hybrid seeds not knowing any better.
Completely agree...

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link. I am stocking up on canned goods as well as tending my garden this year. Although we ALL AGREE that home grown and home canned is the healthiest, you can wash the salt out of canned vegetables if you like. I've got my Sharpies to mark the expiration dates so they're more legible.
Aren't you GLAD you're on this site, now?!? :D

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
I think that it is a possibility of food failure in the USA because of many reasons, factory
farms, weather patterns, resistant plant diseases and blight,etc.

i.e......

I like Fuji apples. Last week Wal- Mart raised the price by 20 cents on the lb.

I hope the price goes back down when the new crop is here this fall.

I live in an area with wild apple trees and berries. The apples did not set fruit in spite of the many blossoms. the service (sarvis) berries are the same .

I pick wild black rasberries but they are very scarce here this year and last. It is so hot and dry that there isn't much for the deer and wildlife to eat so they are eating the new tender rasberry vines which means even less berries next year.

This is a microcosm of what COULD happen to any part of our food systems.

I am researching the proper way to store some food.

This is what I learned yesterday: " Store what you eat, and eat what you store"

By taking baby steps I hope to do it right.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Potatoes are the best thing to grow if you are thinking about famine possibilities. they grow easily and store well, but you do have to look for varieties that are known to store till april or may. Those nice red skins don't cut it but you can eat them until December or maybe January.

Since potatoes are easy to grow if you have space and water grow a lot. Then if the SHTF and you still can't eat them all you will be able to have something to give to your neighbors who may have not planned so well

Remember to keep seed potatoes for the next planting

Potatoes have saved many many hundreds of thousands of lives though plight and economic difficulties.

don't forget the sweet potato either!