Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
24 lbs pinto beans for $19.08

6 cans tuna

8 boxes cereal for $2.50 each

8 40 oz jars of Hellman's Mayo for 2.58 each

3 48 oz bottles Wesson Oil for 3.76 each

4 lbs salt at .50

Several misc. items that we buy because we are on specialized diets.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
24 lbs pinto beans for $19.08

6 cans tuna

8 boxes cereal for $2.50 each

8 40 oz jars of Hellman's Mayo for 2.58 each

3 48 oz bottles Wesson Oil for 3.76 each

4 lbs salt at .50

Several misc. items that we buy because we are on specialized diets.
Dang, I'm feelin' a bit like the grasshopper!!

:lol:

(Isn't he the one that played the fiddle all summer?)

Cassandra

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We don't have to put our entire grocery list here do we?

How bout if I sum it up and say, we bought $500 worth of groceries and the way I bought it up, it's a 3 months supply for us? :/

If you want some examples, (prices are each, not total)

2 Pack of Chains for Chain saw for $23.34
2 2.5 # coffe for $7.78
4 bags brown sugar for .99
2 bags powdered suger for .99
8 cans tuna for . 57
2 cans sardines for .69
2 jars mayo for $1.99
Can green beans 12 at .45
Asparagus in can 12 at .99
baked beans 12 at .49

And that is all I am going to pick off my two grocery bills. LOL I have 2 because we get all that we can at Aldi's, then go get what we couldn't there at Walmart, even though I hate shopping at Walmart.

Oh and tomorrow we will be picking up a 55# bag of dog food at the local feedstore for $19.95 . We purchased this size last month for the first time and not only did it last the entire month, but the bag is still has about 1/4 of the food left in it. We fed 2 medium sized dogs and 1 5 lb yorkie all month on one 55 # bag of food, with some left into this month. I plan on buying the 55# bag each month now, instead of having to buy 3-4 15# bag for $10 each all month!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Where do you all put your emergency supply of food?

Is it wise to put things like rice or pasta or dry beans in the freezer? I do that sometimes. And I know it's economical to keep your freezer full. But it is better to fill the freezer with jugs of water, or do these items that don't really freeze do just as good?

Cassandra

toots

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Here in Az we have lots of bugs:eek: I keep all of my dry foods in the freezer that I am not going to use in the next couple of weeks. I have never had any trouble with anything going bad or getting ruined.:)

toots

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Here in Az we have lots of bugs. I keep all of my dry foods in the freezer that I am not going to use in the next couple of weeks. I have never had any trouble with anything going bad or getting ruined. My Smilies didn't work !!!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I freeze grain/flour/beans/pasta/etc type things after I buy them in order to kill any bugs that may be in them already, if I am concerned about the source or whether the package was intact or plan on keeping them a long while rather than eating 'soonish'.

But I don't store them in the freezer (well, they say you should store w/w flour in the freezer so it doesn't get rancid); I just store them in fairly airtight pest-proof containers.

JME,

Pat

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
But I don't store them in the freezer (well, they say you should store w/w flour in the freezer so it doesn't get rancid); I just store them in fairly airtight pest-proof containers.

JME,

Pat
same here.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
patandchickens said:

JME,

Pat
same here.
Same here with one exception: Brown Rice. I store all my brown rice in the freezer except for a half gallon container in the 'frig. Rice will get rancid before any of the other whole grains IMHO and experience.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Went to Aldis today
got some great deals...things for the pantry.

In my grocery store canned stems and pieces of mushrooms jumped to 99 per can...yikes, Aldis was 49 per can. I bought 2 cases. I am not a fan but for some reason Tony loves these mushrooms vs. fresh ones ???? what??? but I loaded up cause of cost.

Got mandarian oranges in a can...store is 1.19 per can NOW....and Aldis was 79 per can...got 2 cases ---Nicole LOVES these oranges.

So I am mentioning that some canned fruit is very important in a pantry just in case we can't get fresh ..... we wouldn't want scurvy now would we???