Food storage list must haves

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
ticks said:
Thankfully in Vermont there is not many natural disasters.
Ice storms can knock your power out for a good long time -- like a week or more, as folks a little W and NW of you found out about ten years ago. Also general power-grid failures, which evidently can last for days and days as per five yrs ago or whenever it was ;)

Pat

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
ticks said:
Thankfully in Vermont there is not many natural disasters.
Ice storms can knock your power out for a good long time -- like a week or more, as folks a little W and NW of you found out about ten years ago. Also general power-grid failures, which evidently can last for days and days as per five yrs ago or whenever it was ;)

Pat
Well it's a good thing we have E-food isn't it. I said we don't have many disasters. I never said I didn't have food. ;)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It does take a bit of effort, but we use a hand cranked grinder for wheat. My husband is supposed to eat whole grain stone ground flour, but if you read the labels, even the ones that say whole grain usually start with enriched white flour followed shortly by high fructose corn syrup.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
hoosier said:
It does take a bit of effort, but we use a hand cranked grinder for wheat. My husband is supposed to eat whole grain stone ground flour, but if you read the labels, even the ones that say whole grain usually start with enriched white flour followed shortly by high fructose corn syrup.
I don't see how they can say whole grain.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I think that if they even have a small part of some ingredient, the label can say it. So you have to try to check the order of the ingredient list too- but even then I'm not sure that it would be clear. There are so many "clever" people oput there trying to sell stuff.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
I think that if they even have a small part of some ingredient, the label can say it.
Exactly! And what is odd is that sometimes the same company has a bread which starts with whole grain flour, but they call it by a name that doesn't reflect that. :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Dated a guy that worked at a bakery...the wheat bread has very little wheat, but a whole lot of caramel coloring! That stuff stains so badly that they can't get it out of flooring or clothing once it touches it. Now, imagine what it does to the inside of you.... :p

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wonder what else we are eating that we wouldn't if we only knew...?

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Any thoughts on dehydrated fruits and vegetables? I do that now anyway but it seems like it would be a good way to add some variety to your stock. If you have dried tomatoes, strawberries,zuchini, meat etc. you can do alot with it. The fruits and veggies plump back up after being put in liquid and they take up so little space when dried and last for at least a year.