Food storage list must haves

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
You have alot of bases covered which is a great thing! i had to go grocery shopping today so I stockpiled on some things that were on sale to sock away. I stopped by the farmer's market as well, I wanted some tomatoes to dehydrate, although I have quite alot in the garden they are still all green and I still don't trust the supermarkets' tomatoes.
There was a really nice guy there selling honey and he had some bees on hand to demonstrate. It is the best honey I have ever had in my life. There is nothing like raw honey. I told him I plan to get some next spring so he went in to detail about how so many bees are "treated now" and his are all organic. He gave me a business card if I want some more info on raising them organically, which strangely enough I had no idea that they treated bees to begin with.
Anyway, finally getting to the point, honey keeps indefinitely. If it gets hard all you have to do is warm it up.Its another thing that keeps well.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
TSL, they treat bees for varroa(sp?) mites and other parasites with chemicals at times. Some folks are going with EOs as an organic alternative, I believe. I agree that raw honey is superior to processed honey in many ways. I also agree that I would rather have this in store than sugar, as you can also use it medicinally.

I can't wait to get bees! I read a book once called The Secret Language of Bees that I loved. It describes how keeping bees makes one feel so connected to beekeepers down through the years and how elemental it feels to be a part of that. It will feel good to be doing something good for my garden, my orchard, my environment and my family....all in one effort. :)

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Beekissed,
I got that book for my little roadtrip tomorrow. I can't wait to start reading it. We are taking my kids to Connecticut tomorrow to the Dinosaur Crossing. Its to celebrate one of my little guy's birthdays, he has been wanting to go there for a year. I hate long rides, so I made sure I had a book, and to ensure that they will actually be quiet long enough for me to read some of it I made them some homemade playdough and slime.
You are so right about that feeling you get when you feel like you are doing something productive in your life.
The man I met today at the Farmer's market gave me a card to a website, its a pretty cool website actually.
Its called Golden Rule Apiary
www.Bee Unto Others. com
http://www.beeuntoothers.com/
I really like the name.
There is alot of interesting links on there and some old beekeeping archives.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I dehydrate a lot - workes well with fruit and a lot of vegetables but not as inclusive as canning.
If you plan on tomatos, it's best to get the kind that are used for making paste as the less moisture to start the less energy to dry. Regular tomatoes dry to almost nothing. Cherry tomatoes were always very useful- in the end I only grew two kinds of tomato- sweet cherry and a paste kind called Principe Borghese (sp?) They turned out to be useful for all sorts of things.
Another great thing to dehyrate is mushrooms- yum yum.
Herbs are of course great dried.
And dried pears are candy...........

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
TSL, thanks for the link! I added it to my bee folder for future reference. Now, I have one for you! This is the guy who offered to give me a nucleus when I'm ready for it. He has the greatest pics and instructions on his blog site, ever! Nice fellow to ask questions of, also.

http://wvbeekeeper.blogspot.com/

I think I met him through the Beemaster.com forum site. Nice folks on there who will answer your questions without acting like your ignorant! The other forum, Beesource.com, are sometimes rude and condescending to newbies, so I pretty much ask the folks at Beemaster if I have a question.

Its so nice to exchange sources and information! :)

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Non-food stuff I would want in an Emergency Preparedness Kit: (by no means inclusive)

Aspirin
Toilet paper
Bleach (in case you need it to sanitize drinking water)
Neosporin
Imodium and/or Ex Lax (hey, emergencies make some people's tummies do weird things)
Sunscreen (in case you are sitting outside because it's too hot in the house)
Benadryl
Long stick matches
A bag of charcoal or one of those little propane cannisters for the grill
Soap
Pet food as would be needed for a few days

Food for an Emergency Preparedness Kit that I didn't see already mentioned:

Split peas
Dried pasta
Spices and other seasonings
Dried egg powder
Dried milk
Tea bags
Instant Breakfast ( mix with the reconstitued milk....reasonably good amount of nutrients)