Food Storage on $5 a week

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I remembered this morning that someone a long time ago asked for a list of what to buy with $5 a week in order to send up with sufficient food storage. I have found this: http://members.cox.net/auburnheaven/selfreliant/foodstorageplan.pdf

Not sure it's comprehensive, and certainly not enough variety for me, anyway, but it's a start.

Here's an article from Backwoods Home that uses a $10 a week list: http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/hagan59.html

Here's a plan without the prices, from the LDS church.
http://www.theideadoor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=238

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Great lists!

It is kind of what I do already, but I just didn't know I was doing it. If I need salt, for example, I always buy two or three instead of one. Same with other things. Sometimes it is only one jar extra, but it all adds up! I really try to buy on sale as well.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have been sort of using a combination of these methods. Sometimes I focus on one thing and get a year's worth (did this with shampoo, laundry soap and deodorant), sometimes I just pick up a bag of beans, some type of canned meat and some dried veggies to throw in the stash when I do my normal shopping.

My last purchase was 2 bags of navy beans ($1.50 each?), a can of chicken meat ($2.00), and a can of tomato paste (48 I think?).

I usually shop once a week. I have been pretty consistent about grabbing at least one thing for the stash each week for the past several months. It is quickly adding up to a respectable emergency stash :D

Week 1 Popcorn: invest in a pop corn popper if you do not have one, lower your families fat intake.
I had to roll my eyes at that one though. NATURAL FATS ARE NOT UNHEALTHY!!! BUTTER IS ONE OF THE MOST HEALTHY FATS YOU CAN BUY!!! POPCORN IS GARBAGE AND A TOTAL WASTE OF GOOD BUTTER AND COCONUT OIL!!!
:barnie Ok, I feel better now :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Well, WZ, I guess it's different strokes... And sometimes storing treats or stuff you might consider an occasional snack would help in the case of a real SHTF situation. Sometimes we need to have something special just to make life seem normal.

I do want to applaud you vigorously for:
BUTTER IS ONE OF THE MOST HEALTHY FATS YOU CAN BUY!!!
I totally agree, which is why I have 25 pounds of it in the freezer. I also save bacon, pork, beef and chicken fat in the fridge, like most others here. I actually just started doing that recently, and am very happy with how it is turning out. I am really saving on purchased oils for when I just need a dab.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I had to roll my eyes at that one though. NATURAL FATS ARE NOT UNHEALTHY!!! BUTTER IS ONE OF THE MOST HEALTHY FATS YOU CAN BUY!!! POPCORN IS GARBAGE AND A TOTAL WASTE OF GOOD BUTTER AND COCONUT OIL!!!
:barnie Ok, I feel better now :D
But it's cheap, it stores easy, the kids love it and it's better for them than fruit roll ups.

But I agree that natural fats are not unhealthy. :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I guess it's different strokes... And sometimes storing treats or stuff you might consider an occasional snack would help in the case of a real SHTF situation. Sometimes we need to have something special just to make life seem normal.
I know. I just have my moments...LOL

Besides, isn't that what beef jerky is for? :gig

I totally agree, which is why I have 25 pounds of it in the freezer.
I hit a great sale and had quite a bit stored away. Then I got lax and Christmas hit. Now I need to resupply. Thanks for the reminder! :D

it's cheap, it stores easy, the kids love it and it's better for them than fruit roll ups.
While true, see above. JJERRRKKKYYYYY (drool) LOL

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
It is kind of what I do already, but I just didn't know I was doing it. If I need salt, for example, I always buy two or three instead of one. Same with other things. Sometimes it is only one jar extra, but it all adds up! I really try to buy on sale as well.
Same here. If I've gotten a lot of overtime, we use some of the extra to buy the feel-good foods to store, like cocoa powder or fruit to dry for leather.

If I find a really great deal on sugar, salt, rice, beans coffee or a good jerky meat, I grab as much as I can with 1 week's worth of my grocery budget. We can eat out of the pantry/freezer for a week without denting it too badly.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd like to know where people are going to get 50lbs of wheat for $5.

I'm sure that everyone could mix 'n' match on the other items to suit their family's needs. The list is for a family of two. Our family of seven won't use 12lbs of salt, however, we could very easily use more than 20lbs of sugar, thanks to my sweet tooth.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got 50lbs for $7 at the good local feed store. Granted it was untreated, seed quality, but compared handful to handful with wheat berries, there was no difference but the price.