Food Storage on $5 a week

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One of the things I try to do is buy a box of canning lids every time I'm in the store. Its not going to do me a whole lot of good to know how to can the food in my garden if I don't have lids.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
mandieg4 said:
One of the things I try to do is buy a box of canning lids every time I'm in the store. Its not going to do me a whole lot of good to know how to can the food in my garden if I don't have lids.
THAT is a really good idea!

I try to buy lots when they are on sale, but could you EVER have too many?

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can never have too many lids. I do the same thing when I find lids. I try to buy at least one pack everytime I go shopping. :):):)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I had a great supply of food. Now I am trying to eat it all up and clean out my supply so we can build a pantry. I don't have a lot of room so I just turned an unused entry way into the house as my storage space. DH got tired of looking at all the stacked up boxes, make shift storage shelves, etc and finally agreed we need to turn the area into a real pantry. :weee

Now I have to move all that food. So we decided to eat it. Of course I have not had to grocery shop for over a month. If the weather ever clears up enough and we get that pantry built I will start restocking. In the mean time we are eating really good and not spending any money doing it. I am saving my grocery money for restocking.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
I had a great supply of food. Now I am trying to eat it all up and clean out my supply so we can build a pantry. I don't have a lot of room so I just turned an unused entry way into the house as my storage space. DH got tired of looking at all the stacked up boxes, make shift storage shelves, etc and finally agreed we need to turn the area into a real pantry. :weee

Now I have to move all that food. So we decided to eat it. Of course I have not had to grocery shop for over a month. If the weather ever clears up enough and we get that pantry built I will start restocking. In the mean time we are eating really good and not spending any money doing it. I am saving my grocery money for restocking.
I am dying to get hubby to build me some more shelves in my pantry. I can't wait. Would love to see pics of your new pantry when you get it completed.:):)

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the links Ldychef, they were very informative, I think the prices that where at backwoodshome, where a little less than the prices at my local stores, so I probably won't get as much for my 5$.Guess I could go to 10$ and make it work.
That LDS list is way more than I would by in any one week, I must have to watch my money more than the author. lol

Mandieg4- lids-what a great idea, I now plan to get some this weekend, will need lots more this year for all the bounty I plan to harvest.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Ok you talked me right into that. I was shooting for end of this month completion. But with this weather I am having to calm myself down, not push and wait. So now I am trying to make myself believe that its ok if its February or March before it gets done. Sigh......

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have always wanted to like 6" wide shelves down my hallway, at the level of the tops of the doors. I used to think books, but now I would probably add a lip and store something useful that wouldn't be bothered by light or heat, and wouldn't break if it fell. Toilet paper? LOL

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can't imagine storing 500 lbs. of wheat in the house. They forgot to mention the $ you'll need to spend on mice/bug proof containers to store it. My list would be very different from the one on the website. Maybe we could all collaborate & come up with a really great one?

Cocoa absolutely needs to be on it! And baking soda & coffee.

My grandmother used to bake bread every morning, she would bake half of the dough from the day before then add more flour/water/salt/honey to the dough that was left & let it rise a few times until the next day and repeat. That way, she rarely ever had a need for yeast. It's just one of the things I want to try to do this year - see how long I can keep it going.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Unsweetened cocoa and coffee are at the top of my list!!! LOL

I buy 8 O'Clock Whole Bean coffee when I find it on sale (Columbian). Usually the large bags that run from $8-$12 depending on where you buy them. I store the bags in the freezer.

The container cost is something that has to be considered. I know some people are getting 5 gallon buckets from restaurants for free and then buying gamma lids.

As for me, I focus more on storing fats and proteins. These are things you CANNOT live without. There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. There ARE, however, essential fatty acids. Without those and protein, you will die.

Actually the hardest thing to get in a really bad situation and the thing you need the most is the fat, so that might be where you want to focus first. Non-hydrogenated lard in the cupboard, butter in the freezer, ghee in the cabinet, and some cans of natural coconut cream and you are good to go.

Next is protein. Dried or canned meats and beans are great. I have a pretty big stash of beans and lentils. I have been adding canned meats to the stash too. Canned chicken, tuna, even spam :D

I would put dried meats in, but my husband would find them and eat them. He always does :somad So it is not worth the money to buy him snacks!!!

Nuts are great for fat and protein if you prepare and store them properly. I always have almond meal on hand. I keep the extra bags in the freezer.

I also have a lot of dried vegetables. The take up so little space and go great in a bean dish. Dried tomatoes, onions, carrots, red peppers, etc... They have these in small bags at the Vitamin Cottage. Usually they cost between $1-$3. I try and pick up one a week.

Don't faint, but I do have some grains in my stash. I don't eat them now, but in an emergency situation, I would cook them with the beans just to make sure there was a complete protein. Quinoa and steel cut oats mainly.

I also have a good supply of chia seeds. Not sure what category those go in, but they are LOADED with omega 3's. Unlike flax, though, chia will not go rancid. I think it is a better option for long term storage.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA365093/Chia-for-Health.html

There is other stuff in the stash....salt...honey...tomato paste...canned table cream.... but the protein, fat and omega 3's are the things I worry about the most.