Food Storage on $5 a week

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
Interesting, but I can't see why so much "cream of soups" when other things would go a lot farther for the money!
Creamed soups can be used as gravies and to thicken other foods. Cream of mushroom soup and hamburger patties and you have salisbury steak. Cream of mushroom soup, ground meat, hash browns and cheese and you have hash brown casserole.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
And cream-of soups can be used to disguise a whole lotta stuff that some people might otherwise itch and moan about being served. I mean, let's face it, cream-of-whatever casserole always tastes pretty much alike, no matter what the whatever is... which if you're cooking for picky (or just whiny) eaters is not necessarily a bad thing <g>

And it doesn't take all *that* much cream-of soup just to use as a flavoring.

It probably does not give you as much nutritional bang for your buck as some other things, but I can see that for some families it would still be a real handy thing to have around.

Pat, raised on a certain number of the 1950's cream-of-whatever casseroles and still actually liking some on nostalgia grounds, and expecting that the only way I would EVER be able to feed my husband venison or squirrel or raccoon would be in a casserole with cream o' something over it :p

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Uh-Oh not another list :lol:

They forgot to add whiskey.

Pat is right about the cream of whatever soup. It covers a multitude of sins.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Will $5 a week buy all that stuff? I think that is underestimated.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
That is a really interesting idea!

Slightly odd-seeming list, though. Unless the idea is that you also have a bunch of veggies and legumes or meat or something like that to add to it (but the list says 'should be enough to sustain 2 adults for a year), I would think that you would want things with a bit more, ah, actual nutrition to 'em :p Beans/lentils/peas are conspicuously absent from the list, as are canned veggies such as tomatoes.

And 180 lbs of sugar for TWO people for just one year???

But I still like the *idea* of it...

Pat

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You're right Pat, the idea isn't bad, just buy $5 more of storable food per week and then over the course of a year you would have a fair bit stored up without breaking the bank.

Course $5 doesn't buy as much as it used to last week.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
$5 I would stock up on cigs, just to trade for real food..LOL

but anything stored is good...but nutrition wise it is lacking.

If I have only "so much food to eat" and "not much of it" I need more vitamins and such for my buck. If we have to live on a close to starvation diet or something, it better be the best you can store within reason.

Cream O' Squirrel ----Hmmm...
Cream O' Raccoon----Hmmm...
(I just don't know about this..HA HA)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
There are some things I would definitely add to that list...Molasses is definitely one. It is so rich in minerals and vitamins...a teaspoon a day:>)