Food Storage on $5 a week

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yea Farmer Chick,
I think I'll store up cigs and whiskey too. Honestly all this storing up talk is starting to depress me.

My DH loves fried squirrel in gravy. Actually with all of the squirrels we have running around this year I shouldn't worry about starving to death.

(was going to make a joke about eating my children but thought it might be in poor taste)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA HA HA HA
yea that would be in poor taste eating the kids, but funny as he11

yes I know exactly what you mean. storing up to me is more about getting a good deal and keeping some supplies and my fresh stuff I jar and such. it is more for having in lean times versus the DOOM of what seems to be floating around out there.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'd like to know where in the heck are they getting 50 lbs of wheat for $5??? Hook me up! :D

And why in the world would anyone need that much sugar??? Stock up on toothpaste while you're at it! ;)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'd like to know where in the heck are they getting 50 lbs of wheat for $5??? Hook me up! :D
That is exactly what I thought!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow. Was that from the 1970's? Since when could you get 10 lbs of powdered milk for $5? I checked Amazon.com and a 4.4 lb box of powdered milk is $20! And 50 lbs of wheat? I can't imagine getting that for $5... Am I reading this list right? I couldn't find a place online to buy plain wheat, but a 50 lb bag of wheat flour is almost $30.

At Sams Club (online) a 25 lb bag of sugar is $12 something.

A 12 pk of 6oz cans of tuna is $28, so $18.64 for 8 cans. (amazon)

Yeast is $5 for ONE pound.

a 12 pk of 10oz cans of tomato soup is $7 something (sams) so that might work.

And if I found a good sale, I could probably get 10 or 15 boxes of generic mac & cheese for $5 :D

But even counting on the cheap weeks to make up for it, I don't think there's any way $260 would buy all of that food.

Cassandra (I think I will make up my own list of things to stock up on for $5 a week)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
actually Morel it is good to see things like this...just makes us think more what storage is important and such...fun to beat up lists also..HA HA HA--gives us something to do..HA HA

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
(I think I will make up my own list of things to stock up on for $5 a week)
Oh thats a brilliant idea.

Let's make a list! Maybe we can distribute it to the world via email Forwards once it's compiled. Then it will be OFFICIAL. Because you know if it comes to you through email it must be important and true. ;)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No way, Ma'am! I am going to keep it all to myself so it will be the

Top Secret Confidential List

Get your own, PC!

:)

(list clutched to bosom) Cassandra

MC, not dissing the list. It's an excellent brainstorming tool. I'm just scandalized by the increase in prices of stuff over a short time.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah MC, not a dis. I DO like the idea of just spending a little at a time. It's much more reasonable than dumping $1000 on beans and flour and then not having the cash to pay your electric bill.

Cassandra if you're not going to share neither will I. I bet I have some cool stuff on my list that you never thought of though ;)